car accident lawyer Bethesda MD
There are many things that one should and should not do when they have been in an auto accident and a good place to start understanding the legal reasons behind them is to contact a car accident lawyer Bethesda, MD accident victims and their families can rely on.
Sooner or later, almost every driver is in an auto accident. Before you have an accident, it is good to understand not only WHAT TO DO when the inevitable occurs, but even more importantly, WHAT NOT TO DO. Our law firm has represented auto accident cases for more than 25 years, and based on our experience, we have compiled a list of things you should never do after an accident.
In the moments right after an accident, you may be in shock or otherwise confused and/or injured. This may cause you to say or do something that could jeopardize your standing in any future lawsuit. The law firm of Cohen & Cohen has a car accident lawyer to help you avoid making costly mistakes in the event you are involved in accident in Bethesda or in MD, DC or Virginia.
- Never leave the scene. Fleeing the scene of an accident is a serious crime and can make a bad situation much worse. Even if you surely caused the accident or are driving under the influence, leaving the scene is the worst choice you can make. The authorities will fine you and the penalties will be severe.
- Do not avoid calling 911. Always call 911. This ensures emergency medical personnel will come to the scene if needed, and a police report can be made. In many states, failing to report an accident to the authorities is a crime. A properly documented police report provides clarity and is an official documented version by a third party that carries a lot of weight in the event there is a lawsuit.
The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice. For legal counsel, contact a car accident lawyer in Bethesda, MD or one in the jurisdiction where your accident occurred.
- Never admit fault or apologize. There are many factors that determine liability in an auto accident. Never admit fault or apologize to the other driver. Statements you make can be used against you and influence the determination of who is at fault. It is always better to say as little as possible and let the authorities, insurance companies, and attorneys sort out the details.
- Do not lose your cool. Remain calm, under all circumstances.
- Do not downplay your injuries. It is better to err on the side of caution and go to the hospital for evaluation if there is the remotest chance you could have serious injuries. Many times after an accident you may be in shock and not realize the extent of pain you are in.
As well, it is important to have records of your injuries for you car accident lawyer from Bethesda, MD to use as evidence for your claim.
- Do not forget to take photos and make notes. Before the cars are moved, take photos of as many angles as possible, including any damage. Also note any unusual circumstances, like weather, light levels, traffic, etc.
- Don’t delay filing an insurance claim. The first thing you should do when you get home is call your insurance company.
- Consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better the outcome will be.
- Never speak to the other parties’ insurance company without your attorney present. Ever. If they call you, simply say, please contact me attorney and provide your attorney’s contact information.
If you’ve been in an auto accident, call Cohen & Cohen today. Our attorneys are here for you and will try to help you achieve the best outcome in your auto accident case. For a highly rated and dedicated car accident lawyer Bethesda, MD car accident victims and their families can rely on, a member of our experienced legal team can give you a free case evaluation with no obligation.