What is a Montgomery, MD MVA Settlement?
A Montgomery, MD motor vehicle accident (MVA) settlement is something that Montgomery County, MD MVA lawyers may be able to help you get if you have been injured in a MVA that was caused by someone else’s negligence.
One of the questions our MVA lawyers at Cohen & Cohen often get from injury victims is, what is a MVA settlement? The legal process for recovering damages from a negligent driver usually includes several phases, and an important aspect of it is the settlement process. Our MVA lawyers offer victims a complimentary first time consultation. During that initial meeting you can explain how the accident happened and the nature of your injury. You will also learn how we might be able to help you should you decide to hire our MVA lawyers. Call our Maryland office today to schedule a confidential consultation to ask the questions you want answers to.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Montgomery County MVA, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with reputable lawyers who are licensed to defend MVA victims throughout MD.
What is legal liability?
In most MVAs, one of the parties can be identified for having caused the accident. If the blame is shared, there may be a disproportionate amount of responsibility placed on one party. For instance, one driver might be deemed 10% responsible, while the second driver might be held 90% responsible. Your MVA lawyer at Cohen & Cohen will work with you and the evidence that is available to determine who was responsible for the collision and to what extent. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, and Maryland’s motor vehicle laws, the amount of your settlement might be reduced in direct proportion to your percentage of responsibility. In many cases, the victim does not share any responsibility, and therefore they are eligible for full compensation.
Montgomery County, MD MVA lawyers may be able to help you seek compensation for expenses related to injuries caused by one or more negligent driver.
What is a personal injury claim?
In the wake of a MVA, the injured victim has the legal right to submit a personal injury claim with the help of a MVA lawyer to the at-fault party’s insurance company. A brief summary of what is involved with the claim includes:
- Establishing who was responsible for causing the accident and why.
- The nature of the victim’s physical injuries sustained during the accident.
- The costs, or damages, associated with the victim’s injuries. This includes completed surgical procedures, possible future surgeries, medications, physical therapy, follow-up physician appointments, etc.
- Salary or hourly wages that the victim cannot earn because they are unable to work due to their injury.
- Pain and suffering due to a victim’s injury and/or their experience of being in the accident.
If you think you may have a personal injury claim for a Montgomery County MVA, discussing your options with lawyers who are licensed to protect MVA victims may help you to feel more at ease about what the future may hold for you.
What is involved with getting a settlement?
The process will vary from case to case, and early on your Montgomery County, MD MVA lawyers can brief you on what to expect. In general, the process will look something like this:
- Your MVA lawyer will determine who was responsible for causing your accident and to what extent; i.e., do you as the victim share liability with the other party, and if so, how much?
- Your MVA lawyer will identify your damages and cost itemize them.
- Your MVA lawyer will submit a personal injury claim to the at-fault party’s insurance carrier that includes the settlement amount based on the damages.
- Your MVA lawyer will either recommend that you accept the insurance carrier’s offer of compensation for your damages, or will recommend that you decline the offer.
- Your MVA lawyer will enter into negotiations with the insurance carrier with the goal of obtaining the maximum possible settlement amount on your behalf.
- Your MVA lawyer will recommend pursuing courtroom litigation if the insurance carrier refuses to offer a fair settlement.
If you were injured in a MVA, contact our MVA lawyers for a free consultation.
For highly rated Montgomery County, MD MVA lawyers you can rely on, contact Cohen & Cohen to set up a free case evaluation any time of the day or night, any day of the year.