Evening or Weekend Injury? We’re Here!

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

CONTACT

For a Free Evaluation of Your Case, Contact Us!

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone (required)

Subject

Your Message

 

For immediate assistance, please call our office directly.

202-955-4529

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

Preventing Carbon Monoxide PoisoningEven with our knowledge of its potential harm and with modern technology providing better safety and warning devices, many people continue to work on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes and in other places where there is a potential for carbon monoxide to be present.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that can cause a lot of harm or even death to you and your family if not properly monitored. Hundreds of people accidentally die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances and idle cars. Fetuses, infants, and elderly people can be especially susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. Be safe by practicing these DOs and DON’Ts:

  • DO purchase a carbon monoxide detector at your local hardware store.  This device gives a warning when carbon monoxide levels are too high in your home. Make sure to regularly test and change the batteries in these. If you are not using appliances and other things that have the potential to leak carbon monoxide into your environment (such as your heater during the summer months, etc.) carbon monoxide detectors should still be tested and maintained.
  • DO have your fuel-burning appliances checked by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. They will make sure that the flues and chimneys are in good working order and aren’t blocked by anything.
  • DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible.
  • DO read and follow all of the instructions that come with any fuel-burning device. Pay special attention to the cautions that come with these devices.

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in your home should not be taken lightly because of the damaging and deadly results that occur when people breath in carbon monoxide.

  • DON’T idle your car in the garage, even if the outside garage door is open. Fumes can quickly build up in the garage and living area of your home. Do not let children play in parked cars in garages because if a child turns the motor on, it may only be a short time before the carbon monoxide starts to become harmful.
  • DON’T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • DON’T ever use a charcoal grill indoors – even in a fireplace.
  • DON’T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • DON’T ignore symptoms you may be feeling. Serious injury or even death could result if you do nothing.

If you start to have severe headaches, dizziness, nausea, faintness, and/or are short of breath, you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Try going outside of your home. If the symptoms disappear then the carbon levels in your home could be dangerously high. Immediately go to the hospital to make sure that no permanent damage has been done and have your home inspected for high levels of carbon monoxide. Contact your gas company or other entities who are authorized to inspect and repair carbon monoxide problems.

Following these simple DOs and DON’Ts could save your or your family’s life. Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning can be a daunting undertaking but in order to protect your and your family’s health, it is of utmost importance to be vigilant in this endeavor. If you find yourself in need of a lawyer, do not hesitate to contact Cohen & Cohen, P.C. 

cohen

   © 2018 Cohen & Cohen | Powered By Matador Solutions | Disclaimer