Unique Road Hazards for Motorcyclists | Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD
Anyone looking for “the best” motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD has to offer may have already realized that motorcycle accidents tend to be different from car accidents. While no one can say that they are “the best” motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD can provide, at Cohen & Cohen, we continually strive for excellence in the our motorcycle injury practice. Our legal team understands that motorcycle accidents are unique and cannot necessarily be treated like other car accidents. There may be many factors that play a role in causing a motorcycle accident that aren’t necessarily at play for larger vehicles, including:
1. A higher risk of being injured when driving safely and when wearing protective clothing
Motorcycles provide very little protection for keeping riders and passengers safely on the vehicle. When a collision occurs, there is a heightened risk of operator or passenger ejection which can subject the victim to a variety of injuries far more common with motorcycle accidents than any other kind of vehicular accident.
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD trusts may handle injury claims for motorcyclists who suffer from injuries that include:
- Road rash
- Head, neck, and spine injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Injuries to the wrists, arms, and shoulders
- Broken bones and fractures
Wearing a helmet provides some level of protection, but motorcyclists could still sustain traumatic injuries when wearing protective gear. Researchers say thatbased on recent statistics, motorcycle helmets are less than 40% effective in terms of reducing fatal brain injuries. In other words, four out of 10 potential fatalities are prevented through the use of a helmet, but the remaining six fatalities would likely still occur.
When a motorcyclist suffers from any injuries — and especially if multiple injuries are present after an accident — the financial burden can be hard to manage. If a motorcyclist is severely injured in a collision, seeking legal counsel from a top motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD can offer may help the person recover enough compensation to pay for necessary medical treatment.
In cases where injuries require a recovery period and the individual cannot work, a lawyer may be able to recover lost wages through an injury settlement. Severe injuries that leave the person temporarily or permanently disabled may also justify filing an injury claim.
2. High speeds can exacerbate the damage in a motorcycle accident
Unlike other cars, motorcycles have virtually no barriers to keep riders seated on the vehicle in the event of a crash. Its is especially exacerbated when high speeds are involved.
It’s not surprising that speeding often plays a role in traumatic motorcycle accidents. NHTSA data shows that 34% of all fatal motorcycle accidents involved speeding, while only 21% of fatal passenger car accidents and 8% of fatal large-truck accidents did.
When a motorcyclist is thrown from their vehicle during a crash, driving at a high speed can intensify the force with which the rider is thrown. If a motorcyclist is speeding at the time of an accident, this may have a negative effect on his or her injury claim.
However, speeding might be just one factor in the entire incident. A good motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD trusts may be able to prove that other factors were more damaging and had a more direct role in causing the accident. Collisions often occur because motorcycles are often less visible than full-size passenger cars. Drivers in other vehicles might fail to check both ways carefully before making a turn, or they might fail to check their blind spots before changing lanes. If a motorcyclist is driving at a very high speed, this could render the individual even less visible to other drivers.
3. Small road hazards can be a big problem for motorcycles.
Drivers in passenger cars may not think twice about loose gravel or leftover rain water on the road. For a motorcyclist, these small road hazards can potentially be very problematic. It is possible for riders and passengers to ignore some of these details when thinking about the causes of an accident; working with a capable motorcycle accident lawyer in Hillcrest Heights MD will ensure that all potential factors in an accident are considered.
These smaller roads hazards can include:
- Rough roads or loose gravel: Motorcycles are often less stable than other passenger vehicles and may lose balance easily on these surfaces. Additionally, small bits of gravel or stone may fly up and injure riders or passengers.
- Edge breaks between two lanes: When two lanes of traffic are slightly different heights, passenger cars may not notice a difference. For unsuspecting motorcyclists, however, this slight difference could be problematic.
- Construction zones: Navigating through tight lanes may be difficult enough, but construction zones can also place extra debris in the path of traffic. Rocks, branches, and even wet leaves can be hazardous for motorcyclists.
- Animals: Hitting a small animal could easily knock a motorcycle off balance.
- Slick roads: When a road is covered in water or ice, it is often much more dangerous for motorcyclists than for passenger cars. Because motorcycles are generally much lighter in weight they are more likely to lose traction.
Injured in an Accident? Contact a Local Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD Trusts
At Cohen & Cohen, our lawyers know that motorcycle accidents can differ quite a bit from other types of car accidents. It’s important that our clients know that we don’t take personal injury cases lightly. Each case — including motorcycle accident cases — deserve the utmost care and attention to detail. The lawyers at Cohen & Cohen, are proud to provide legal counseling services to motorcyclists who have been injured and to the local residents of Hillcrest Heights.
To schedule a free case evaluation with a motorcycle accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD residents know and trust, call our Maryland office today.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Hyattsville MD | Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Wheaton MD | Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Montgomery County MD | Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Cheverly MD | Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD