Common Dental Malpractice Cases in Reston, VA that May Require the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered because of the negligence or a mistake made by a dentist in Virginia, it may be in your best interest to enlist the help of a personal injury lawyer Reston, VA residents can rely on.
You may not be aware that dentists can commit and be prosecuted for medical malpractice. With 500 million procedures annually, dentists do have a margin of error. They may have only the best of intentions, but everyone makes mistakes. Here are five common dental malpractice cases for your reference. If any of these have happened to you, then you should contact a personal injury lawyer in Reston, VA to examine your legal options.
Adverse drug reactions. Some dental procedure require the use of major medication and if the dentist and their staff aren’t careful, then the drugs can cause potentially serious interactions. One major concern is respiratory depression due to drug reactions and a patient could die. Allergic reactions are also cause for concern and unfortunately, most of these situations are avoidable. Ways to prevent such disastrous situations include:
- Taking a thorough and complete medical history of the patient and family before giving medication.
- Review and understand what the patient has reported and be sure to reflect that in the care administered to the patient.
If you have had an adverse reaction to a drug or medication (including anesthesia) you may find it helpful to discuss your rights with a Reston, VA personal injury lawyer.
Not noticing signs of oral cancer. This is one of the most important functions of a general dentist. If caught early, patients with dental cancer have the best chance of survival. Such signs include:
- Pain and discomfort in the face and mouth.
- A dentist should be able to detect the signs and be able to recommend the right tests and treatment.
- Screenings for oral cancer should be conducted at regular intervals by your dentist depending on the risky activities you participate in.
If a dentist fails to see and test for signs of cancer in a patient, this is often considered to be negligence on the behalf of the dentist. If this has happened to you, an experienced personal injury lawyer in Reston, VA may be able to protect your rights which may include compensation for expenses related to the dentist’s negligence.
Tooth extractions. A few complications can develop as a result of an improper tooth extraction.
- Perforation of the sinuses is a major complication.
- Infections are common with tooth extractions and require care immediately.
- Permanent nerve damage is a serious issue that can occur.
- If a dentist doesn’t explain the appropriate care after a procedure then the patient may experience unnecessary pain and medical complications.
Crowns and other similar procedures. Dentists can fail to care for their patients appropriately in a number of ways when completing a crown or other similar procedure. One common issue is an overcontour which means the dentist creates a crown that is larger than the natural size of the tooth which can lead to bacteria exposure and resulting in gum disease. Another possible effect of an overcontour is grinding which can cause pain at the very least. If the dentist fails to leave space for flossing, a common issue with crowns, then that can cause complications like gum disease as well.
If you had a dental procedure that failed or caused problems that you did not have before, a compassionate Reston, VA personal injury lawyer may be able to help you to understand your rights.
Pursuing Damages for Dental Malpractice
If you believe you have suffered due to the negligence of your dental provider, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. You can always seek a separate dental opinion before visiting an attorney for consultation. Call Cohen & Cohen, P.C. for a free consultation today to discuss your particular case and what you may gain from pursuing damages.
For a personal injury lawyer Reston, VA dental malpractice victims and their families recommend, contact Cohen & Cohen, P.C. today.