MVA Lawyers Reston, VA
When you set out to take a walk, regardless of your destination, the last thing you may be thinking of is that you will be injured and need MVA lawyers Reston, VA residents can count on to help you with your unfortunate situation.
MVA is an abbreviation for motor vehicle accident or accidents. The injuries you may suffer from as pedestrian in an MVA can take a toll on almost every aspect of your life, especially if the injury you obtained was significant. If a car has hit you, you may be permanently disabled, your ability to work could be impacted, your recovery could be long, and you could suffer from serious pain. There are a number of reasons that pedestrian related accidents occur. A personal injury law firm with MVA lawyers in Reston, VA that are experienced with motor vehicle accidents, can represent you and help you collect the appropriate evidence for a successful outcome
Common Reasons for Pedestrian Related Injuries
When a person is walking down the street, crossing an intersection or even walking on the sidewalk, they could be at risk of being hit by a motor vehicle for various reasons:
- The driver, pedestrian or both are not paying attention to their surroundings
- The driver is using their phone while driving
- The driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Aggressive driving in highly populated areas
- A driver is driving too fast
- A driver is making a turn or making a U-turn without looking where they are going
- A driver is backing up out of a parking spot without looking behind and to the sides of them
There are so many ways a pedestrian in Reston can be injured by a MVA that require the help of lawyers who are licensed to practice in VA. Drivers have a duty of care to drive safely and avoid harming others on the road. Despite this, accidents can occur. It’s important for someone on foot to always pay attention to their surroundings because you never know when a driver may not be paying attention. Interestingly enough, there are also other ways in which a pedestrian may be injured, such as:
- Poorly maintained sidewalks
- Defective traffic lights
- Construction sights blocking walkways
One little known fact is that not all pedestrian injuries involve motor vehicles, in some situations, municipalities or property owners could be held responsible for your injuries. In the event that a pedestrian gets injured in a motor vehicle accident in Virginia, it may be in their best interest to discuss their situation with MVA lawyers in Reston VA.
The Evidence You May Need
It is crucial to have the proper evidence in order to prove the negligence of the driver who hit you. Depending on the extent of your injury, you may be able to begin obtaining evidence right away. If you are unable to do so, someone you know or your attorney may be able to help you gather the information that you need. The sooner you take action in gathering evidence, the easier it should be for your MVA lawyers in Reston, VA to begin protecting your rights.
Things To Do After an MVA
- Start by making sure that the police are contacted. That way there will be a police report detailing the accident.
- Take photographs of the scene.
- Gather the names of any witnesses who were present at the time of the accident
- Get the information of the person driving the vehicle that hit you
- Seek medical treatment and keep a file of all medical documentation from the accident.
- Keep track of your medical bills because the driver may be held responsible for paying them.
- Write down or record your account of what happened.
By gathering the correct information from the start, you may be able to save yourself from a headache down the road if you choose to pursue your case. Having the right evidence is a necessary component to a settlement or award in your favor.
If you were in a pedestrian related accident, it’s unlikely that you walked away without an injury. If you were injured and suffered damages as a result, you will want to speak with a personal injury attorney before it’s too late to take action.
For a personal injury law firm with MVA lawyers Reston, VA pedestrian and motor vehicle accident victims can trust, contact Cohen & Cohen today.