Why are bus accidents complicated when personal injuries are involved?
When a person is injured in a bus accident, the process for recovering damages can be complicated which is why it may be best to hire an experienced bus accident lawyer District Park MD has to offer for legal representation. For the last 20 years, Cohen & Cohen has helped many injury victims in the Maryland area receive fair and substantial settlements. Our experience gives us an important advantage when facing insurance companies and transit corporations with deep pockets.
Statute of Limitations in Bus Accidents
One reason why bus accident cases are complicated is the statute of limitations, or deadline, for filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit against those responsible. The statute of limitations varies according to who is at fault. The rules are different for federal agencies as compared to private bus companies. In cases involving various statutes of limitations because multiple parties are involved, it can get even more complicated. Our attorneys at Cohen & Cohen understand this complexity and are focused on meeting the important deadlines associated with your claim.
Liability in a Bus Accident
It’s not unusual for bus accidents to involve multiple parties who can be found liable for damages and injuries. It’s also not unusual to have multiple accident victims and concurrent litigation as each victim pursues damages in separate cases.
A top bus accident lawyer District Park MD respects will likely investigate the bus accident to determine who is liable and if there are multiple defendants. Cohen & Cohen works closely with accident investigators to identify who is liable for our client’s personal injuries. To illustrate who may be at fault, here are some common examples of how bus accidents can happen:
- The bus driver. The driver may have been under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances. He or she may have gotten distracted while driving the bus and lost control. The driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
- The bus company. If the bus is not taken out of service for inspections, repairs, or upgrades, malfunctioning equipment can cause an accident. The bus company is also responsible for properly training drivers and making sure the driver is competent to operate the bus.
- The bus or bus parts manufacturer. If manufacturing or design defects lead to an accident, the company that builds and/or supplies them to the bus company, or installs them, can be held liable if it’s determined that the part caused the accident.
- A negligent driver of another vehicle. If the driver is reckless or shows a disregard for the safety of others which results in an accident, that driver can be held liable for any personal injuries or damage. A District Park MD bus accident lawyer will likely interview any witnesses and analyze accident scene evidence to determine if the other driver was negligent and therefore responsible at least in part for the accident.
It’s very possible that more than one party in the above examples might be identified as culpable for the accident and resulting injuries.
Commercial Driver’s Licensing Requirements
Licensing is another variable when dealing with bus accidents. A bus driver must have a current and valid commercial driver’s license when operating a bus. A top bus accident lawyer District Park MD trusts may be able to explain in detail what licenses and endorsements a bus driver must legally hold. If the driver is lacking in training or licensing, it can bolster a claim of negligence against that driver and their employer as well.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has a set of rules for safe driving that commercial bus drivers are required to follow. If those rules are violated, drivers may be held liable if it results in an accident. An accident investigation will probably be performed by a bus accident lawyer District Park MD gives high marks for satisfactory representation.
When a bus driver’s employer is a federal or municipal entity, there are differences in how the law applies when it comes to proving liability. These differences can make a bus accident personal injury case much more challenging to litigate. A bus accident lawyer District Park MD turns to for legal help, such as attorney at Cohen & Cohen can look at your particular case to see how this applies if at all.
What damages can be claimed from a bus accident?
If you suffer injuries from a bus accident, you may be able to recover the following:
- Medical costs resulting from that injury, including future medical bills
- Physical therapy and rehab costs
- Loss of career and earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional duress and mental trauma
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Punitive damages if it can be proved that the at-fault party wantonly disregarded safety with an intention to do others bodily harm
If a bus accident causes fatal injuries, the victim’s designated family member may be able to pursue a wrongful death suit. A bus accident lawyer District Park MD provides may be able to help determine which family member is legally eligible to pursue such a claim. In cases where the victim’s family is represented by an experienced lawyer, settlement/awards could include compensation for:
- Medical bills from efforts to save their life
- Pain and suffering of the victim before they died
- Mental anguish and emotional duress before they died
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the deceased’s income and benefits
- Loss of household duties that the victim performed for the family prior to death such as child care, vehicle maintenance, and other chores
Call a Bus Accident Lawyer District Park MD Turns To
Bus accident personal injury cases can be complicated. If you’ve been injured in a bus accident, call us to meet with an attorney to discuss your personal injury case. Talk with a bus accident attorneys who will fight hard to protect your rights while you and your family focus on healing. Do not hesitate to call Cohen & Cohen today at (703) 548-4529 for a free one on one consultation with a skilled bus accident lawyer District Park MD recommends.