What to do After a Frederick Motorcycle Accident
Accidents happen in a flash, but you may be left with debilitating injuries that will affect the rest of your life and put you in need of help from Frederick, MD motorcycle accident lawyers.
Cohen & Cohen has helped numerous motorcycle riders throughout Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia seek justice in accidents that were not their fault.
If you’ve just been in an accident, here’s what to expect:
What should I do at the scene?
The moments after a vehicle accident can be chaotic. It’s crucial to stay calm and assess what’s happening.
- Assess the safety of the scene. If you’re in the middle of the roadway or there is a risk of fire, try to move to a safe place if you can.
- Assess all parties involved for injuries and call 911.
- Exchange information with all parties involved, including contact information and insurance info.
- If possible, contact Frederick, MD motorcycle lawyers to find out what steps may be especially important to take in your particular situation.
- Take pictures of everything, including your motorcycle, the other vehicles, and the intersection where it happened.
- Write down everything as you remember it. In the days after the crash, your memory will fade. It’s important to capture details as soon as possible.
- Make note of any witnesses. Know that if you approach them, they may not be willing to speak with you. However, you can encourage them to speak with law enforcement for the official report.
- When speaking to law enforcement at the scene, do not admit fault. Only recall details and provide them in neutral statements.
While trying to find reputable motorcycle lawyers after a Frederick, MD accident may not be at the forefront of what you think needs to be done after a motorcycle accident, doing this sooner rather than later may help you to deal with some of more pressing things you need to do in the immediate aftermath of an accident.
What can I expect to happen after I leave?
If the accident was not your fault, you can expect to hear from the insurance company for the at-fault party. The insurance adjuster may try to get you to record a statement – do NOT take part in this. You can refuse to provide a recorded a statement to the insurance company.
Adjusters will try to twist questions and subconsciously influence your answer. It’s advisable to not discuss your case with them without your lawyer present.
You should plan to visit your doctor, even if you do not believe your injuries are severe. Some injuries may take days to become visible, like whiplash for example. The longer you wait to seek treatment, you are giving the insurance company the opportunity to discount your injury was related to the crash.
Discussing your situation with reputable Frederick, MD motorcycle accident lawyers as soon as you can, can help you to keep track of the important medical information that is typically needed to prove a personal injury claim.
Adjusters may also request your medical records. Again, do not hand them over. It’s best to wait until your treatment has concluded to share them. Your condition may fluctuate over time, and if they assess your condition too early they may not consider how your injuries will impact you long term.
Do I need a lawyer?
It’s critical to act fast after a motorcycle accident. You have limited time to file a claim. Working with a trusted lawyer like the ones at Cohen & Cohen means your case will be handled efficiently. You won’t have to worry about missing deadlines or filling out lengthy paperwork because your Frederick, MD motorcycle accident lawyers will manage all of that for you.
Cohen & Cohen will consider several factors to see what compensation you may be eligible for. These include:
- Past and future medical costs
- The extent of your injuries
- Hospitalization or surgeries
- Long term effects and permanent damage
- Your insurance details
- Evidence in the case
Working with Cohen & Cohen means you won’t pay anything unless we get a settlement or award for you. Our fees are waived if we lose.
For highly rated Frederick, MD motorcycle accident lawyers, contact Cohen & Cohen to schedule your free consultation, any time of the day or night, any day of the year.