Compensation for a Reston Truck Accident
Getting into any kind of accident is usually scary but because of the size and amount of damage large trucks can do, if you have been in an accident that calls for the help of a Reston, VA truck accident lawyer, you probably need compensation for expenses related to your accident.
When someone is injured because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, they may be entitled to compensation from the party or parties that injured them. In the tragic and unjust event that someone dies because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, their surviving family members may be able to seek compensation from the party or parties that caused this terrible thing to happen. If one of these things has happened to you or to somebody you love in Reston, it may be time to enlist the help of a reliable truck accident lawyer that is licensed to practice throughout VA, to find out what your and your loved ones’ rights are.
Dangers of Truck Accidents
Because of their size and the damage they can do, accidents with large trucks such as commercial 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, tend to be very, very scary.
Accidents with these kinds of trucks often cause fatalities that warrant the need for surviving family members to file a personal injury, wrongful death claim against the party or parties that caused the accident in order to protect their family’s financial future. When the kind damage they do does not cause people to die, they can still cause a horrific amount of damage to the bodies of people involved in the accident as well as to the property that was in harm’s way of the accident. The victims of these accidents and their family, have already suffered, they should not have to suffer financially because of this too. It is recommended that victims of Reston truck accidents seek the help of a reputable VA truck accident lawyer.
Some of the reasons accidents with large trucks can cause so much damage include but are not limited to:
– On average, a semi weighs 80,000 pounds compared to the average car that weighs a fraction of this at 5,000 pounds. Trucks called turnpike-doubles, can weigh up to 147,000 pounds.
– When a semi is connected to a trailer, it is usually 53 feet long but this can vary.
-Turnpike-doubles, consist of two 48-foot trailers connected to a semi. The average length of a car is only 15 feet long with many cars being significantly smaller than this.
– The average turning width for a semi is 55 feet, which is nearly 5 times larger than the width of an average road or highway lane in the U.S.
– It takes large trucks much longer to slow down, speed up and to execute maneuvers such as, changing lanes and making turns.
– While it is illegal for truckers to drive more than a certain amount of hours, many truckers drive while fatigued and/or under the influence
If you or someone you care about has suffered because of a truck accident in Reston, VA, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with a highly rated truck accident lawyer.
For a highly rated Reston, VA truck accident lawyer contact Cohen & Cohen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a free case evaluation.