Joint Injury Claim Information
As a personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA clients trust may tell you, joint injuries can happen to almost anyone; and if someone else’s negligence caused that injury, you may have recourse for compensation. The law firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. is highly experienced in working with accident victims who suffered a joint injury. Our lawyers have negotiated fair settlements for thousands of clients over the last 20 years.
When a joint is subjected to an unnatural, forced movement such as a twisting action or harsh impact, it can be damaged. This damage can be temporary or permanent. The extent of the damage is often dependent on how badly the tendons and ligaments were injured.
If you’ve injured a joint in an accident, it’s important to get medical attention right away. Delaying this can further damage your joint and possibly lead to permanent injury. Another benefit is that once you see a medical professional, your injury is documented–which can be beneficial when filing a claim. Proof of injury is in your favor.
Determine Who is At Fault
If you were injured in an accident that was not your fault, it is important to determine who the at-fault party is, whether that’s:
- Your employer if the injury occurred in the process of doing your job
- The owner of the property where the accident occurred
- The manufacturer of a product that caused your injury
Even though the accident was not your fault, you may have to prove that the at-fault individual or company was negligent in their actions which led to your knee injury. If it’s a company that manufactures a product that caused your knee injury, you may have to prove the following:
- They were aware of the potential danger of their product but did not attempt to remedy that danger, or
- They did not adequately warn users that it might cause injury
Settlement or Trial?
An experienced personal injury lawyer in Alexandria VA may first try to negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company. There are advantages to this:
- Your case may be closed much faster, which means you can get on with your life and pay your medical bills as soon as possible.
- An experienced personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA accident victims consistently hire has an excellent chance of negotiating a higher settlement than you might be able to do on your own.
- Juries can be difficult to convince when it comes to personal injury cases. They may have a hard time believing that your joint injury has caused the damages to the extent you claim.
While settlement may be the first avenue a top personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA clients trusts might take, Cohen and Cohen is also prepared to take your matter to court should a settlement agreement be unattainable.
Proving Pain and Suffering as a Result of Your Injury
Because pain and suffering are not necessarily tangible damages, it can be challenging to prove to insurance companies and juries that they exist. Documentation is extremely important. When you hire a personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA accident victims turn to for help, they may ask you to supply the following:
- Your receipts for over-the-counter and prescription medications
- Copies of your medical reports
- Bills and receipts for all of your related medical costs including therapy, x-rays, emergency room fees, ambulance transportation, and surgery
- Proof of your lost wages including W2s, paycheck stubs, and doctors’ letters to your employer to excuse you from work
- Photo documentation of your injuries
Determining the Value of Your Joint Injury Case
An Alexandria VA personal injury lawyer who is as experienced as our attorneys at Cohen and Cohen, may have a fair idea of how much money you could be entitled to, however, there are several factors that can heavily impact the outcome for settlements and damages awarded by a jury. They are:
- The victim’s losses as a result of the joint injury. This includes:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages to date and into the future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Did the victim have a similar pre-existing injury?
- This can suggest that it caused the current knee injury or made it worse
- The defendant can claim that they are not entirely responsible for the newest injury
- The likelihood that the jury will find the defendant liable for damages.
- This can be contingent on how much evidence your lawyer can present at trial on your behalf.
- The stronger the case, the better your chance at winning a favorable settlement. When meeting with a personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA injury victims trust, he or she may be able to provide you with an honest case evaluation.
Workers Compensation for a Joint Injury
If you have suffered a joint injury while performing your job, you may qualify for workers compensation. In certain professions, joint injuries are quite common; however, if you’ve suffered an injury on-the-job that impedes your ability to work, you may still be entitled to compensation.
Workers compensation coverage can vary by area, so it’s important to verify your eligibility with a personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA employees have hired under similar circumstances.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Alexandria VA is Proud to Call Their Own
Our attorneys at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. work hard for our clients. If you’re in need of legal help, don’t delay in contacting us. Cohen and Cohen lawyers have extensive experience handling personal injury cases. Call us to set up a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer Alexandria VA is proud to have in the community.