Holding Hospitals Accountable for a Hospital Accident
If you or someone you love has been injured because of a hospital’s negligence, or if someone you love has died because of this, it may be in your best interest to consult a hospital accident lawyer Reston, VA hospital accident victims and their families’ can rely on.
If you or someone you love was injured in a hospital accident, you may be wondering who can be held accountable. At Cohen & Cohen we have seen firsthand how victims of hospital accidents can suffer physically as well as emotionally. Due to the mistake of a medical professional, the patient’s quality of life may be severely compromised. As a hospital accident lawyer from our firm can tell you, some victims never completely recover. For these reasons, it’s important to have a full understanding of your legal rights. We encourage victims in these circumstances to contact us for a free consultation with our hospital accident lawyer who can review the unique details of your injury, that occured in Reston or anyplace else in VA, to determine its strength.
Every case is different because of the many variables involved. Below is a general overview and is not intended to be legal advice in any way.
Common Types of Hospital Accidents
As our hospital accident lawyer can tell you, medical professional mishaps range from minor to fatal and everything in-between. Some of the most common types of hospital accidents include:
- Surgical mistakes, including operations on the wrong part of the body, not reacting appropriately if complications arise during surgery, slipping with the scalpel and cutting a muscle, an organ, an artery, etc. With the help of a hospital accident lawyer in Reston, VA (or wherever the accident occurred) you may be able to hold the surgeon responsible for your damages.
- Misreading a diagnostic test such as an MRI, X-ray, CT scan, etc. This can lead to a wrong or missed diagnosis and consequently allow the condition to worsen. With the help of a hospital accident lawyer, you may be able to hold the physician responsible.
- The wrong type of medication or dosage is prescribed to the patient, or the prescription is filled incorrectly. You may be able to hold the physician or the pharmacist responsible.
- Missed diagnosis of common post-operative risks such as deep vein thrombosis. This is when a blood clot develops, very often in the leg. This can be a fatal mistake on the part of the medical staff.
- Uncontrolled bleeding after surgery. This can be caused by a number of factors, each of which can be addressed before the bleeding can occur. If the medical providers neglect to do so, it can be dangerous for the patient and it may be in the victim’s best interest to enlist the help of a hospital accident lawyer from Reston or wherever in VA the malpractice occurred.
- Complications from anesthesia. Whether you are given too much or too little anesthesia before or during surgery, serious complications can arise. It’s also advisable to be checked to see if you might have an allergic reaction to anesthesia if this runs in your family. This is a question the medical provider should ask of you before you go into surgery.
Compensation for Your Hospital Accident Injury
When a patient goes into the hospital for treatment, they do not expect to be injured by a medical professional and to then be in need of a hospital accident lawyer who is licensed to practice in Reston and throughout VA. Unfortunately, this is all too common. Hospital accidents are not acceptable and in many cases, the victim is eligible to receive compensation for their damages, which may include pain and suffering.
For a highly rated hospital accident lawyer Reston, VA hospital accident victims and their families can count on, contact Cohen & Cohen today for a free consultation and case evaluation.