Employment Discrimination & Sexual Harassment Lawyers in Washington DC
Employment Discrimination & Sexual Harassment Lawyers in Washington DC
While American society has come a long way since the days of open discrimination in the workplace, many people still need a good workplace discrimination lawyer to protect them from problems on the job. Regardless of your occupation — whether you work on construction sites, in an office, or in the healthcare industry, you should contact the personal injury lawyers Washington DC trusts and relies on.
Types of Workplace Discrimination
Common forms of discrimination that might warrant a need for an experienced workplace discrimination lawyer include, but are not limited to, discrimination based on:
- Sexual orientation
Even though the U.S. government has created labor laws to protect people from discriminatory practices and unsafe workplaces, many people still find themselves the victims of unfair or unsafe practices. If you believe you were discriminated against because of any of the above reasons, contact Cohen and Cohen for a free case evaluation, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Getting in contact with a workplace discrimination lawyer as soon as possible may be the ideal way to start protecting yourself and your case.
The ways in which employees are discriminated against can be more subtle today than in the past. Whether it is a promotion withheld, hurtful and hostile comments, or open bias, no worker should have to tolerate discrimination out of fear of losing their job.
Common reasons for contacting a workplace discrimination lawyer include:
- Sexual harassment
- Racial discrimination
- Wrongful termination
- Pressure from an employer not to join a union (or retaliation for doing so)
- Pressure from an employer not to file a workers’ compensation claim (or retaliation for doing so)
- Unequal pay for the same work (typically based on gender or race)
- Collecting unemployment benefits
- Employer’s failure to abide by state, federal, and/or industry regulations
Workplace discrimination can occur in any industry and can affect workers of all levels. Whether you are the CEO of a major corporation or a factory worker for a manufacturing company, you still have the same legal protections against harassment and discrimination while you work. If you have been the victim of workplace discrimination, you may start protecting yourself today by contacting a compassionate and experienced Washington DC workplace discrimination lawyer.
The employment discrimination lawyers at Cohen and Cohen fight for workers who suffer discrimination. We know that fairness in the workplace is a right everyone is entitled to. And we bring to bear decades of combined experience to ensure discriminated-against employees get the justice they deserve.
Remedies for Workplace Discrimination
Virginia, Maryland, DC and the federal government all have laws expressly forbidding workplace discrimination. These laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, race, gender, disability, pregnancy, and other protections. Workers who suffer discrimination may be entitled to some or all of the following remedies:
- Hiring Reinstatement
- Lost wages and benefits
- Cease and desist orders against the employer
- Damages for emotional distress
- Reasonable attorney’s fees and costs
- Expert witness fees
- Administrative fines
The exact remedies that apply to a case depend on the factors surrounding a case. An employee who is suing for wrongful termination, for example, would likely seek different remedies than an employee who faced retaliation for joining a union. Your lawyer may help you determine which remedies to seek if your case may be viable in court.
While some cases can be handled outside the courtroom, others might not be easily negotiable. It’s essential to have a legal team that is prepared for court if negotiations fail. At Cohen and Cohen, we understand the importance of preparing each case for court — and we fight tooth-and-nail, every step of the way, to protect the rights of our clients.
Make sure you have a fair shot at getting compensated for discriminatory practices by getting a workplace discrimination lawyer on your team today.
Contact Cohen and Cohen Today
Laws can be powerful tools for employees who have had their rights violated. But to succeed in such claims takes skill and toughness – traits the employment rights lawyers at Cohen and Cohen have in spades. Without the help of a lawyer with plenty of education, training and experience, you might miss out on the opportunity to get compensation for the unpleasant experience of workplace discrimination.
If you think you have been discriminated against at work contact a workplace discrimination lawyer at Cohen and Cohen today for a free consultation.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer for Work Discrimination
If you are facing work discrimination, you might wonder if you should hire an employment lawyer or take care of the situation yourself. The truth is that discrimination in the workplace can have many complexities, so it is wise to have someone with knowledge and experience of your side. Here are some benefits of hiring a lawyer:
- Determine If Your Employer Illegally Discriminated Against You: Just because you feel that you were treated unfairly at work, does not mean that your employer did anything illegal. In order to have a valid discrimination class, you must fall into a category protected by anti-discrimination laws. For instance, if your employer terminated you shortly after you told him or her that you’re pregnant, that may be considered discrimination. After assessing all the factors in your case, an employer can determine whether or not you were illegally discriminated against.
- Explain the Positives and Negatives of Pursuing a Claim: An experienced employment lawyer has handled cases similar to yours in the past and knows what to expect. He or she will talk to you about the strengths and weaknesses in your case and if it is worth it or not to pursue a claim. Your lawyer will also discuss the types of damages you could recover and how long the process may take. After absorbing all this information, you can decide if you still want to pursue your case.
- Gather Evidence About Your Case: In order to have a successful work discrimination claim, you have to show proof to the court. It can be very difficult to prove that your employer actually discriminated against you. That’s why it pays to have an experienced employment lawyer on your side. He or she will know the type of evidence you need to prove your case. For instance, let’s say that you were terminated shortly after you told your employer you’re facing racial discrimination. Your employer claims that you were terminated due to poor performance. However, your last few performance reviews were great. This may prove that you’re the victim of discrimination.
- Reduce Stress: Dealing with workplace discrimination is already stressful enough. If you are handling your discrimination claim on your own, it can add to your stress. If you have a skilled lawyer on your side, he or she will take care of the legwork. This will allow you to relax a little and take care of yourself.
Call Cohen and Cohen today for a free consultation.