Bicycle accident lawyers District Heights, MD residents trust have the answers you may need
Bicycle accident lawyers District Heights, MD residents count on know that in this day and age, riding a bicycle around town is the more cost effective and eco-friendly mode of transportation. Many people nationwide have opted to ditch their cars and ride bicycles instead. Riding is a passion for many who seek to maintain a healthier lifestyle and reduce fossil fuel usage. In downtown areas, bicycling to work may even be a faster mode of transportation than driving.
Although bicycling is a fun and economic way to get around the city, there are dangers that are involved. We understand that bicycle crashes do happen, and we are here to help you exercise any rights you may have regarding your bicycle crash and will fight for your right to compensation for any injuries obtained during the crash.
Whether you were hit by a car, motorcyclist, or suffered injuries due to faulty road conditions, experienced bicycle accident lawyers in District Heights, MD should advocate that justice should be served for any cyclist involved in a crash. Road riding is a passion for many, and that passion should not be diminished due to the negligence of those not sharing the road.
Bicycle Crash Versus Bicycle Accident
There is an important distinction between a bicycle “crash” and a bicycle “accident.” We prefer to use the term bicycle crash, as it refers to the improper choices made by the driver of a car or motorcycle that were avoidable. Referring to the incident as a bicycle “accident” means that the incident could not have been avoided. In a vast majority of our bicycle cases, most bicycle accident lawyers in District Heights, MD will tell you that the incident was caused by driver, and could have been completely avoidable.
What to do after a bicycle accident?
Getting into an accident with a car is frightening for any cyclist. Knowing what to do immediately after the crash is important to properly exercise any of your rights you may have to compensation or legal justice.
The first step in reporting a bicycle crash may seem daunting considering the circumstances, but is crucial: you must remain calm and level-headed to get the information you need regarding the crash.
Other important steps involving a bicycle crash, according to bicycle accident lawyers in District Heights, MD:
- Always carry personal identification with you at all times while cycling, carry a cell phone, and something to write with to take down any important information regarding the crash.
- Call for emergency help immediately. If you are unable to do so, have somebody else call 911.
- File an official report with the police immediately following the accident. The police report should include official documentation of any information regarding the crash, including any witnesses or details of the crash.
- Bicycle accident lawyers in District Heights, MD will also likely recommend that you maintain contact with the police officer who filed the report; he or she will be important later on if you decide to go through a lawsuit.
- Do not fix your bicycle; leave it in the condition it was following the accident. It is critical that the police observe the scene of the accident undisturbed. This will provide important information that may be used as evidence against the driver that hit you.
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses of the accident.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Make sure your doctor does a thorough examination of any injuries received, and creates an official medical report of the injuries. Medical records can provide information that may be used as proof of the injuries, and may also document the extent of the injuries obtained during the accident.
- Bicycle accident lawyers in District Heights, MD also strongly suggest that you take photos of the accident, the damage done to your bicycle, and any injuries you may have that were a direct result of the crash.
- DO NOT negotiate with the driver of the vehicle, no matter who was at fault, and no matter what they may offer you in compensation.
- Obtain the driver’s insurance information, name, and the names of any passengers.
- Do not make any statements to insurance before consulting with an attorney.
Contact Us Today If You Were Involved In A Bicycle Crash
We believe that all persons share the rights to the road, and want to help any victims of bicycle crashes fight for justice and compensation.
Call Cohen & Cohen today to set up your free consultation with bicycle accident lawyers District Heights, MD is proud to have in its midsts.