What Does it Mean if I Got Hit By Someone Who was DWI?

Frequently Asked Questions

District Heights, MD DWI Lawyer

What Does it Mean if I Got Hit By Someone Who was DWIIf you got hit by someone who was driving while intoxicated (DUI) there is a good chance it means that you need a good District Heights, MD DWI lawyer to protect your rights.

What many people may not know, is that a person can be arrested for driving while under the influence of a substance that is neither alcohol or illegal. Someone who has been arrested for operating a vehicle due to being impaired by a drug or substance, may be charged with a DWI (driving while intoxicated). The drug that caused the inability to drive safely can be illegal, legal, over-the-counter or a prescription.

Those who have been hit by a driver who was intoxicated by one substance or another, may suffer the very worst of the injuries as a result of that crash. Drivers who are not completely sober while driving could be seriously putting the lives of others in jeopardy.

If you or someone you love has been injured because of an intoxicated lawyer, a District Heights, MD DWI lawyer may be able to get you compensation so that you do not have to be burdened with the financial burdens your painful injuries have no doubt brought about.

Below are answers to common questions about what to do if you are hit by someone who was driving while intoxicated:

What if the driver gets out of the car and appears unbalanced?

One of the primary signs that a person is under the influence of something, is when he or she is unable to walk a straight line without support. It is possible that the driver was also injured from the wreck, but it can be easy to spot the difference between someone who is physically injured, and who is intoxicated. The driver may have slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, flushed cheeks, appear shaky, or something else that suggests their physical or cognitive functioning is impaired.

If you encounter someone like this, make sure that you are safe, and it may be in your best interest to contact a District Heights, DWI lawyer as soon as you can.

Should I call the police?

Yes, it is recommended that anyone who has been hit by an intoxicated driver calls 911 and requests an ambulance. Unless it was a very small fender bender, it is likely that the victim driver sustained injuries that require medical intervention. Additionally, the officer may have to arrest the driver who appears intoxicated, to be sure he or she is held accountable for this poor decision.

What if I want to sue the intoxicated driver who hit me?

Innocent drivers who have been hit by an unsober driver, may want to seek legal action in order to receive compensation for their costs related to their injury, vehicle repairs, and other losses. If you or a loved one has recently been hit by an intoxicated driver, you may want to meet with an attorney for a consultation. A District Heights, MD DWI lawyer may have advice for you on how to go about seeking financial restitution for your suffering.

How important is it that I see a doctor afterwards?

It can be detrimental to the verdict of your lawsuit if you do not see a doctor immediately after the accident. If you wait a long time to get yourself examined by a doctor, it may be interpreted as your injuries were not that serious after all.

If you do see a doctor and received treatment, keep records of these expenses to be used during your lawsuit. The more paperwork you have in regards to your losses, the better an attorney can estimate your potential financial reward.

For a highly rated District Heights, MD lawyer who will fight for the compensation you are entitled to, contact Cohen & Cohen for a free consultation and case evaluation.

Injury Attorneys DC, MD, VA – Get the Compensation You Deserve! Whether you have been injured in a car accident, a malpractice victim, injured on the job, as the result of shoddy craftsmanship, or in a slip and fall, we can help! Our experienced, competent attorneys excel in all areas of personal injury law.

FREE CASE evaluation

Our team is available and ready to help you with your case. Feel free to contact us via the form below or call us  24/7 at 202-955-4529

Read more: