Anyone who is searching for “the best” truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD can provide will likely come to one conclusion: No law firm or lawyer can really say that they are “the absolute best” truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD has to offer. However, at Cohen & Cohen, we are continually striving to provide our clients with the highest quality counsel available.
It is important for victims who have been injured in a trucking accident to know that these types of traffic accidents can be complex. When liability is not perfectly clear, it may be difficult to prove to insurance companies — or to the court — that you rightfully deserve to receive financial damages for your injuries.
Staffed with the kind of truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD deserves, Cohen & Cohen understands that truck accident injuries can be very traumatic. It is important to us that clients and prospective clients feel comfortable and confident when they work with our firm on an injury claim; so we are happy to offer a little insight into the basics of most truck accident claims.
Truck Accident Statistics
Many drivers do not realize how common trucking accidents are. According to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 342,000 large trucks were involved in a crash in the U.S. during 2013. These collisions resulted in nearly 4,000 fatalities and at least 95,000 injured occupants. The data also shows that 72% of injured people in these crashes were occupants in other vehicles.
Large trucks make up a fairly small percentage of vehicles on the road — and truck accidents make up a small portion of all accidents, too. Large commercial trucks only make up about 4% of registered vehicles in the U.S. and 9% of total miles traveled in a single year. Out of approximately 6 million individual traffic accidents in the U.S. per year, large trucks are involved in around 8.7% of all accidents.
Still, any experienced truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD can provide should know that a single trucking accident can cause a lot of damage. Data shows that around 80% of all fatal trucking accidents involve multiple vehicles.
How Truck Accidents Can Happen
Large trucks may face several hazards on the road that other passenger vehicles do not face. As any truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD trusts should know, many truck accidents are caused by a mixture of different factors. Common causes of truck accidents may include:
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers may be on the road for long stretches of time. There are strict rules regarding the length of time that truck drivers may be on the road without any breaks, but drivers sometimes break these rules if their employer pays more money for quick transportation.
- Distracted driving: Anything from talking on the phone to eating a snack may count as distracted driving because it takes the driver’s attention away from the road.
- Blind spots: Large trucks have a blind spots where the driver cannot see other vehicles easily. Many truck drivers are careful to check these blind spots before turning or switching lanes, but it is possible for truck drivers to forget.
- Weather conditions: Rain, snow, and ice can affect large trucks more than passenger cars. Commercial trucks are often harder to maneuver quickly and may not stop as quickly as a passenger car.
- Hazardous materials: Large trucks may be carrying materials that could exacerbate the consequences of an accident. Flammable materials — such as gasoline — could turn a small accident into a major one.
- Driver inexperience: Trucking companies may be more likely to hire inexperienced drivers because these drivers may charge less. This means that newer drivers might not have enough experience behind the wheel to anticipate every possible accident.
- Equipment failure: Trucking companies are generally under strict regulations in terms of safety concerns. These companies are usually required to have regular maintenance checks and safety inspections — but not every company is good about following these rules.
Working With a Truck Accident Lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD Trusts for an Injury Claim
A good Hillcrest Heights MD truck accident lawyer should know that truck accidents often cause more damage for the occupants of other vehicles. It is possible for a trucking accident to result in only property damage to other vehicles, but in many accidents, occupants in other vehicles sustain serious injuries. It is common for a truck accident lawyer in Hillcrest Heights MD to encounter injury claims for clients with head, neck, and spine injuries. Depending on the severity of the crash, it’s possible for the victims to suffer from broken bones, lacerations, and bruising. Medical treatment for these injuries can become very costly for the victims, especially if recovery time is needed and an individual is unable to go to work.
These injuries may justify seeking financial compensation through an injury claim. In severe traffic accidents, the liable driver may not have an insurance plan high enough to cover the costs of another person’s injuries; especially if a severe car accident has lead to long-lasting injuries that leave the victims disabled and not capable of working. Contacting a truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD can provide may help an accident victim seek financial compensation, either by negotiating for a reasonable settlement or by taking the matter to court.
Contact Cohen & Cohen Today
If you have been injured in a truck accident, the lawyers at Cohen & Cohen may be able to help. We provide an initial consultation and case evaluation for potential clients at no extra charge so that each client knows what to expect before beginning the process of filing an injury claim. If you have been denied the injury compensation that you rightfully deserve, don’t hesitate to contact our firm to talk with a truck accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD residents trust.