Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me “Potomac, MD”
At Cohen & Cohen, we understand that accidents can happen at any time, and they can have devastating effects on your health, your finances, and your quality of life. That is why we offer comprehensive legal services for Potomac residents who have suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct.
One of the types of accident claims we handle is car accidents. If you were involved in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, we can help you pursue compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. Our team of experienced attorneys will investigate the accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
We also handle slip and fall accidents, which are common in Potomac due to the area’s snowy and icy winters. If you slipped, tripped, or fell on someone else’s property and suffered an injury as a result, we can help you hold the property owner accountable. We will investigate the cause of your accident, determine liability, and work to secure a settlement that covers your medical bills, lost income, and other damages.
Another type of accident claim we handle is medical malpractice. If you were harmed by a healthcare provider’s negligence or error, we can help you seek compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, and other losses. Our attorneys have extensive experience in this complex area of the law and can help you navigate the legal process with skill and compassion.
Finally, we handle wrongful death claims on behalf of families who have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct. We understand that this is a difficult time for you, and we will work tirelessly to hold the responsible party accountable and secure the justice and compensation you deserve.
As a Potomac, MD personal injury lawyer understands, you may be facing a big decision when it comes to your personal injury claim. Though you may have decided to pursue filing a claim, you may not be won over by the idea of hiring a lawyer. Our team at Cohen & Cohen knows that this is a big decision. When you are ready to move forward with your personal injury claim, it is important to consider whether you want to work with a lawyer before you get started. While you can change your mind throughout the process and choose to work with a lawyer when you are already working on your claim, it makes the most sense to work with one starting from the beginning.
What Damages Can You Claim in a Potomac Personal Injury Accident
If you file a personal injury lawsuit in Potomac, Maryland, you may be able to recover a wide range of damages for the harm you have suffered. Some of the potential damages you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses: You may be able to recover compensation for the cost of medical treatment you received as a result of your injury, including hospital stays, surgery, medication, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages: If your injury has caused you to miss work or reduced your earning capacity, you may be able to recover compensation for the wages you have lost and any future lost earnings.
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to recover damages for the physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish you have experienced as a result of your injury.
- Property damage: If your personal property was damaged as a result of the accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the cost of repair or replacement.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, you may be able to recover punitive damages, which are intended to punish the defendant for particularly egregious behavior and to deter others from engaging in similar conduct.
The specific damages you may be able to recover will depend on the unique circumstances of your case. An experienced personal injury attorney can evaluate your case and help you understand what damages you may be able to recover. By pursuing a personal injury lawsuit, you can hold the responsible party accountable and receive the compensation you need to move forward with your life.
When to File a Potomac Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct in Potomac, Maryland, you may be wondering when you should file a personal injury lawsuit. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the severity of your injuries, the amount of damages you have suffered, and the statute of limitations for your case.
In general, it is important to file a personal injury lawsuit as soon as possible after an accident. This is because evidence can become lost or destroyed over time, witnesses may forget important details, and memories can fade. By filing a lawsuit quickly, you can help ensure that important evidence is preserved and that your case is as strong as possible.
The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in Maryland is generally three years from the date of the accident. This means that you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit in court. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, and the statute of limitations can be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances of your case.
If you are considering filing a personal injury lawsuit in Potomac, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can evaluate your case, help you understand your legal options, and advise you on the best course of action. With the help of an attorney, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
Potomac Personal Injury Law FAQs
Are there times I don’t need a lawyer?
There will be times when it may not make financial sense to hire a lawyer. That doesn’t mean a lawyer wouldn’t get you a good outcome, it just means you may be savvy enough to get the outcome you want as well. For example, if you got into a minor car accident, had minor injuries, had evidence, police reports, and medical records on your side, it may be a fairly simple case. You may find it most efficient if you are not expecting a large settlement and if things are straightforward.
What if I’m not sure what to do?
If you are concerned that you will not be able to defend yourself or are concerned that you would not do well negotiating with insurance agents, this is completely reasonable. Insurance agents know that you are most vulnerable following an accident and they are more than willing to use this against you with a claim. There will be times when the best thing you can do for yourself after an accident is to work with a lawyer. This might be when:
- Your injuries are not minor. If you are dealing with more serious injuries and realize that you are owed a bigger settlement, it is time to seek help from a lawyer. Your Potomac personal injury lawyer will know when to advise you to wait on a better settlement offer and when you should accept the one you have.
- You are eligible for pain and suffering damages. It can be difficult to know if you are entitled to pain and suffering and how much that would be worth. Without the help of a lawyer, you may be willing to settle your claim without these damages, not even knowing you are missing out. A lawyer can review everything that happened and ensure that they are fighting for all the compensation you deserve.
What if I began the process for a personal injury claim?
Unless you have already accepted a settlement offer, if you choose to hire a personal injury lawyer, you should contact us today. Your lawyer can review your case with you, see how far you are in the negotiating process, and determine the best next steps. It is crucial that you call us so that you can get help as soon as possible. When you are ready to move forward with a Potomac personal injury lawyer, contact Cohen & Cohen today.
Potomac Personal Injury Law Resources
If you have been injured in Potomac, Maryland, there are several resources available to help you navigate the personal injury legal process:
- Maryland State Bar Association: The Maryland State Bar Association provides a directory of licensed attorneys in the state, including those who specialize in personal injury law. You can use this directory to find an experienced personal injury attorney in Potomac.
- Maryland Courts: The Maryland Judiciary website provides information on the state court system, including the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, which handles civil cases, including personal injury lawsuits, in Potomac.
- Montgomery County Bar Association: The Montgomery County Bar Association provides a referral service to help individuals find attorneys in Potomac and other areas of the county. They also offer legal clinics and other resources to help individuals navigate the legal system.
- Maryland Legal Aid: Maryland Legal Aid provides free legal services to low-income individuals and families throughout the state. If you cannot afford an attorney, Maryland Legal Aid may be able to provide you with representation in your personal injury case.
- Maryland Department of Health: The Maryland Department of Health provides information on healthcare facilities and providers in the state, including hospitals, clinics, and doctors. This can be helpful if you need medical treatment for your injuries.
By utilizing these resources, you can get the legal support and resources you need to pursue a personal injury lawsuit and receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
Contact Cohen & Cohen Potomac Personal Injury Lawyers
At Cohen & Cohen, our experienced attorneys are committed to fighting for the rights of Potomac residents who have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct. We have a proven track record of success in handling a wide range of accident claims, and we are dedicated to providing our clients with personalized attention, compassionate support, and aggressive representation.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in Potomac, do not hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. We will evaluate your case, answer your questions, and help you understand your legal options. Our goal is to help you achieve a fair and just resolution to your case, and we will not rest until we have achieved the best possible outcome for you.