What to Expect from Your First Consultation with a Personal Injury Attorney
The personal injury lawyers Maryland residents trust know that it can be hard to determine whether or not you have a strong personal injury case. In fact, pursuing compensation for the damages you have suffered may be the last thing on your mind. It can be daunting when faced with a long recovery period following an accident to make the decision to take legal action with the negligent party. There are a number of reasons the help of an attorney is beneficial when you have suffered from a personal injury. In fact, it is all too common for personal injury attorneys to provide complimentary initial consultations.
When considering whether you should contact the personal injury lawyers Maryland residents count on following an accident, cost can be a huge deterrent. This is especially the case if you have suffered significant financial losses from your accident. It’s fairly common for attorneys to offer a complimentary consultation for personal injury cases in order to encourage people to bring their cases to the table. If there was a cost associated with the first meeting, many people with valid personal injury cases may choose not to come forward. Free consultations give you the opportunity to:
- Get to know the attorney and determine whether their style feels like a good fit for your case
- Review the details of your case and determine if a personal injury lawyer in Maryland is willing to take it on
- Help you determine if you have a case for personal injury and your next steps towards obtaining compensation for your damages.
It’s important to note that not all attorneys offer free consultations. However, it’s not uncommon for an attorney to offer a consultation at a reduced rate.
What to Expect from Your First Consultation?
First consultations can vary depending on the attorney you choose to meet with. It’s important to note that attorneys are not likely to shower you with free legal advice during the first consultation. After all, it is not uncommon for people to take advantage of the complimentary services they provide. During a free consultation, expect personal injury lawyers from Maryland to listen to your case, review the information you have brought with you and determine if they are willing to take on your case. Being as prepared as possible for your first consultation, can help you make the most of the meeting.
- Make sure that the statute of limitations on your claim has not run out. Once this timeframe has passed, it unlikely that you will be able to pursue personal injury claims.
- Provide the attorney with a clear depiction of the events surrounding the injury.
- Research the attorney you are meeting with online and obtain reviews or references if you are able to.
- Be prepared with questions you have for personal injury lawyers in Maryland. You will want to know that the attorney you are meeting with is someone you would like to work with.
- Come prepared with documentation that is relevant to your case including: medical records, accident reports, witness statements, etc.
- Develop a list of questions for the attorney.
- Sign documents with the attorney if you decide to move forward with their services.
- Discuss payment for their services and whether they work on a contingency basis, meaning, they only get paid if your case is won.
Expect to not get too in depth surrounding your legal questions. Consultations can range when it comes to the length of time. Some attorneys prefer to speak by phone, while other may meet with a potential client in person for anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
Recovering from a personal injury can cost you time and money. Do not hesitate to reach out for a free initial consultation with Cohen & Cohen, P.C., the personal injury lawyers Maryland residents rely on, who can help you lay out the proper course of action for your case.