Baltimore MD Personal Injury Lawyer
After a serious accident, bills can pile up quickly, which is why it’s important to speak with a personal injury lawyer Baltimore MD offers as soon as possible. The attorneys of Cohen & Cohen may help you recover your damages from the negligent party responsible for your accident.
An experienced personal injury lawyer in Baltimore MD may focus on recovering your damages while you focus on healing. If your injury prevents or delays you from returning to work, our lawyers may be able to help you with this as well. After assisting more than 10,000 personal injury victims get justice, our attorneys know how to get compensation for our clients for:
- Lost wages
- Lost benefits
- Medical costs
- Physical rehabilitation and other recover costs
- Much more
If you or someone close to you has been injured in an accident, you might be able to recover compensation for any or all of the above. Turn to a personal injury lawyer Baltimore MD accident victims call and request a free case review with an attorney from Cohen & Cohen Call 301-250-1957 to make an appointment.
How did you get injured?
Our clients in Baltimore, MD recovered their damages in a variety of personal injury claims. Here are some of the most common types of accidents that our clients have experienced:
- Car accidents. If another driver acted negligently and caused the car accident, it may be necessary to take legal action. This can allow you to hold that driver accountable and compensate you for your losses. If you would like to speak with a personal injury lawyer Baltimore MD victims turn to for help, call Cohen & Cohen
- Hazardous property conditions. Did you slip and fall on a wet floor in a store or on a sidewalk? Did someone’s dog bite you? Talk to a personal injury lawyer Baltimore MD provides to find out your legal options.
- Aviation accident. If a negligent pilot’s or mechanic’s actions caused a plane or helicopter crash, we can help protect your right to compensation for costs related to the accident. For some, this may also include the emotional cost of post-traumatic stress disorder and treatment.
- Construction site accident. Construction sites are notorious for accidents involving workers. When heavy machinery or construction materials are involved, the resulting injuries can be quite serious, or even fatal. In addition to representing injured workers, Cohen & Cohen also works with families who have lost loved ones. If you’re considering filing a wrongful death suit, give our office a call. One of our attorneys may review your case and determine what legal strategy may be most beneficial for your family.
Contact our Baltimore, MD Personal Injury Lawyers
Because our lawyers handle personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis, you won’t have to pay unless we recover damages for you. Call us at 301-250-1957 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer Baltimore MD accident victims trust.
People injured in an accident or some other incident where another person was responsible can confirm that contacting a personal injury lawyer is often the last thing on their minds. Focusing on getting the necessary treatment to bring about healing and recovery should be foremost on any injured party’s mind.
Still, it is also often crucial for these people to file a personal injury claim with experienced legal professionals, such as those at personal injury lawyer Bethesda MD Cohen & Cohen. With the help of an attorney, you might be able to collect enough compensation to pay off any medical bills and debt incurred from your accident, repair a damaged vehicle, or make up for the earnings lost from missing work.
This doesn’t mean every accident or incident that results in an injury could support a lawsuit, particularly if both parties are equally at fault, the property damages are minor, or no one suffered physical injuries. Still, it’s always a good idea to run the details of your situation past a personal injury attorney to know whether or not you are entitled to be awarded monetary compensation.
Personal Injury Lawyer Bethesda MD Cohen & Cohen
It’s not set forth in law that you must retain an attorney before you can file a personal injury claim. Indeed, some people try to file their own claim paperwork and even give representing themselves in court a go. However, your chances of success are exponentially better if you hire an attorney with the experience and knowledge to maximize the amount of money you are awarded.
A personal injury lawyer can help with:
- Collecting evidence that will support your claim
- Hiring witnesses who can give expert testimony on your behalf
- Sorting through evidence and documentation supplied by the other party
- Complying with the complicated procedures and rules of evidence required by courts everywhere
- Filing the required motions
- Negotiating an out-of-court settlement
- Litigating your case in court when negotiations fail to produce the optimal outcome
It’s likely that an individual or business was reckless, careless, or guilty of wrongdoing, and that resulted in the harm you’ve suffered. Lawyers and insurers represent such people and entities, and they deal with these types of issues daily — it’s what they do day-in and day-out. Most individuals who suffer injuries in accidents do not know how to navigate the legal system like those legal professionals and insurers representing at-fault parties. Thus, an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury attorney can play a crucial role in leveling the playing field in such situations.
Moreover, insurers are typically much more likely to offer an injured person a fair settlement (instead of lowballing them) if they are represented by a personal injury lawyer who is well-versed in identifying and countering the tactics used by insurers to get out of compensating an accident victim fully and fairly.
Personal Injury Liability and Sports Facilities
Nobody expects to need a personal injury attorney Baltimore, MD residents rely on after a sporting event. After all, almost everyone enjoys being part of an exciting live sporting event. You pre-game, get dressed up in your team’s colors and head out for the big game. At the venue, you are excited, pumped up, and ready to have the time of the season.
However, what happens if you are injured by a stray fly ball hit during the game? What about the stray puck that flies off the ice and hits you while cheering in the spectator sections? Is this considered a sports injury, and can you sue? An experienced personal injury attorney in Baltimore, MD may be able to help you figure out the answer.
It is common for spectators at a live sports event to sustain injuries, both at amateur and professional events. Physical harm to the body can also occur in two major ways:
- Slip and fall or trip and fall while engaging in a sporting event, even in a kids’ sports league.
- Long-life or permanent injuries that make the victim unable to be gainfully employed, require medical treatment, and cause significant pain
While the difference between playing a game and watching from the sidelines is apparent, can someone be held liable for a fan hit by a fly ball or the kid injured while participating in a sporting event?
Legal Assessment of Sports Injuries
A personal injury attorney in Baltimore, MD will tell you that the big question here is, “Who will take responsibility for the fan’s injuries (or the player’s injuries)?” Ordinarily, people never know whether to sue the facility’s owner or even whether a fan has any right to claim personal injury compensation. The best way to proceed here is getting advice on how you can prove personal injury liability on the sports field.
Assumption of the Risk
Injuries on the sports field occur when the facility management fails or is negligent in maintaining the facility. Stadium managers are responsible for putting in safety measures for both the fans and players. For example, barriers should be set up to prevent the balls from reaching spectators.
A personal injury attorney in Baltimore, MD may also remind you that, on the other hand, people who are voluntarily going to sporting events must be aware or know that there is a likelihood of receiving some sports-related injury. This is called “assumption of risk.” This means that when you stepped into the event, you had accepted the inherent risk that is common in competitive sports.
Hazardous Playing Fields and Defective Equipment
Many parents accept that their children might get hurt during playtime. However, in cases when an intervening or unanticipated event leads to a sports injury, you may get to win compensation for your kid’s damages with the help of a personal injury attorney Baltimore, MD residents count on. Such cases are focused on establishing negligent behavior on the part of gym or stadium managers. It is the responsibility of the sports management to ensure that they maintain high safety standards in their facilities.
If you are injured as a spectator at a live sporting event or your child is injured while playing, it may be challenging to sue for recovery of the damages incurred. You shouldn’t hesitate to reach out to Cohen & Cohen, and will set you up with an experienced personal injury attorney Baltimore, MD is proud to have in its midst.
Is a personal injury claim the same thing as a lawsuit?
As a good Baltimore, MD personal injury attorney can explain in more detail, a personal injury claim is not the same thing as a lawsuit even though it can be a preliminary step towards filing a lawsuit.
There is much confusion when it comes to differentiating between personal injury claims and civil lawsuits. Our personal injury attorney at Cohen & Cohen understands that for the layperson, the laws surrounding personal liability can be confusing. Though personal injury claims and lawsuits can overlap to some degree in terms of their intention, there are many differences. Below are some additional explanations but if you were injured by someone else or by a company’s negligence, we encourage you to contact Cohen & Cohen to speak with our personal injury attorney. We offer a free consultation from a Baltimore, MD personal injury attorney for those considering taking legal action following the diagnosis of a serious injury.
What is a personal injury claim?
A personal injury claim is a demand for compensation equal to the damages associated with an injury that the victim incurred due to the carelessness, negligence, or intentional act of the at-fault party. With the help of an experienced Baltimore, MD personal injury attorney from Cohen & Cohen, we can help you file a personal injury claim. Our understanding of what is necessary for a claim to be successful means that you have a greater chance of success and of receiving a settlement as quickly as possible. We do not charge up front; we only charge a modest percentage of your settlement. If we are not able to negotiate a settlement on your behalf, we will not charge you a fee.
What is a civil lawsuit?
A civil lawsuit is a civil, legal matter as opposed to a criminal matter. In the context of a Baltimore, MD personal injury suit involving a lawyer, the victim (plaintiff) sues the at-fault party (defendant) in a court of law and requests a finding of guilty and a monetary award for their damages. In a civil lawsuit there is no prosecutor but there is a judge and possibly a jury. Both sides in the case usually have a personal injury attorney representing them. If the defendant is found guilty, they will be forced to pay an award that can be as little as a dollar or as much as millions of dollars. Though the plaintiff’s personal injury attorney will submit a request for an amount equal to his client’s damages, the Court is not required to honor it when ruling on a dollar figure for the award.
In a civil lawsuit:
- The defendant will not go to prison if found guilty.
- The plaintiff will not receive an award, and may have to pay the court costs of the defendant, if the defendant is found innocent.
- At Cohen & Cohen, our Baltimore, MD personal injury attorney will not recommend pursuing a lawsuit if a personal injury claim might be successful as it is less costly and generally a faster means of collecting compensation.
What is your best legal option to recover your damages?
Ultimately, this question can only be answered after speaking with an informed personal injury attorney from Cohen & Cohen. After a careful review of your circumstances, you may learn more about your options than you understood previously. Call our office today to request a free consultation with a personal injury attorney who can provide you with the information you need to make the right decisions.
Do You Have Legal options if You Were Injured While at the Gym?
If you were injured at the gym, you may have legal options that a Baltimore, MD personal injury lawyer can explain in more detail than what is described in this article.
Were you seriously hurt while working out at the gym? If the answer is yes, under certain circumstances you may qualify for reimbursement of your injury costs, including medical care. Contact Cohen & Cohen for a no-obligation, free case review with our personal injury lawyer. There are several criteria that must be met in order to recover your damages from those you believe are responsible for your injury. We encourage you to discuss the details of your Baltimore gym accident with our personal injury lawyer who has helped many individuals receive the settlements they deserved.
How were you injured?
The exact manner in which you were injured will have a strong impact on whether or not you can file a personal injury claim against the workout facility. When you meet with our Baltimore, MD personal injury lawyer will want to get to know more about the following kinds of information:
- If you were injured while using gym equipment, was the equipment in question defective or broken?
- If gym equipment was broken and the staff was aware of this but made no effort to warn gym members, the gym might be liable for your damages.
- If gym equipment was defective and the staff was not aware, the equipment manufacturer might be liable for your damages.
- If gym equipment was defective and the staff was aware but made no effort to warn gym members, the gym as well as the equipment manufacturer might be liable for your damages.
- If you were injured because of torn carpeting which caused you to trip and fall and hurt yourself or you were injured when you slipped on wet flooring that had been present for a while but had not been cleaned up or marked as hazardous, the gym might be liable.
- If another member of the gym intentionally hurt you, or acted carelessly or negligently, they might be held liable for your damages.
- If you were hit by a car in the gym parking lot that was driven by someone unassociated with the gym, they might be liable for your damages.
A good Baltimore, MD personal injury lawyer will ask these questions and more in the interest of building a strong case for your claim.
What Should You do if Your Child Gets Hurt at a Public Pool?
If your child was hurt at a public pool, it may be a good idea to look for the best personal injury attorneys Baltimore, MD has available to help parents of injured children.
If your child was hurt while at a public pool, you may be trying to determine who should pay for the necessary medical treatment. If they sustained a serious injury, the resulting medical bills could be quite high. As our personal injury attorneys from Cohen & Cohen might share with you, determining liability greatly depends on the circumstances and location of the accident.
Below are some general guidelines but they are not a substitute for speaking with personal injury attorneys. We offer free consultations to those whose minor child was hurt in an accident caused by the negligence of another party. Call us today to request a case review.
Not every attorney is the best attorney for every case. This is one of the many reasons it is best to discuss your child’s situation with personal injury attorneys in Baltimore or near where your child was injured in MD before you decide who to retain.
Common Pool Accidents
Unfortunately, public pool accidents are quite common. This is because pool accidents can take many forms. Some of the most common include:
- Slip and fall accidents.
- Drownings and near drownings.
- Lacerations and bruising from coming into contact with the pool’s surfaces, walkways, ladders, slides, and from collisions with other swimmers.
- Falling objects in the changing room.
If your child was injured in a public pool in Baltimore, it may be in your best interest to discuss your child’s situation with personal injury attorneys who are licensed to practice throughout MD.
Who is liable for a public pool accident?
Determining liability depends on many things. Sometimes, accidents are simply accidents and nobody is liable. However, if there is a direct connection between a company, government agency, or an individual’s actions and the victim’s injury, the negligent party or parties may be liable. With the assistance of personal injury attorneys, you may be eligible for filing a claim for compensation. For example, at a pool, water may be unexpected on stairs that are nowhere near the immediate perimeter of the pool. If stairs are unexpectedly slippery and the pool owner or manager was aware but did nothing to remedy that hazard, and did not post warning signs, they might be held liable for resulting injuries.
Talking to Baltimore, MD personal injury attorneys may help you to make more informed decisions about how best to proceed to protect your child’s right to compensation for expenses that are the result of their unfortunate accident.
How did the pool accident occur?
- If it was a hazardous condition that was ongoing and known by those responsible for maintaining safety, the pool facility’s management might be liable for your child’s injury costs.
- If your child was running near a pool despite “No Running” signs and the warnings from the lifeguard, and slipped and fell the pool facility and owners might not be held liable for your child’s injury costs.
- If your child was using the diving board and the board broke in the process because it was not properly maintained, the pool facility’s management might be liable for your child’s injury costs.
- If another pool visitor ran into your child or injured them in some other way, they or their parents (if they are a minor) might be liable for your child’s injury costs.
How can a personal injury attorneys make a difference?
When you speak with our personal injury attorneys at Cohen & Cohen and explain the details of what happened, you will learn if we can help you recover your child’s injury related costs. Call us as soon as possible to schedule a no-cost consultation with a personal injury attorneys who can help you.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim with the Liable Party
After a consultation with our personal injury lawyer who is licensed to protect the rights of injured people in Baltimore and throughout MD, it may become clear who should be held responsible for paying for your injury costs. It’s possible that because of the circumstances, further investigation is needed that Cohen & Cohen can initiate and oversee. As an example of yet another possibility, if the piece of gym equipment failed on you, there may already be a class action lawsuit underway against the manufacturer involving other victims. You may be able to join in lieu of submitting a separate personal injury claim to them.
If your Baltimore, MD personal injury lawyer from our firm moves forward with a claim on your behalf, our legal team will make every effort to obtain maximum compensation for you and as quickly as possible. Cohen & Cohen has assisted thousands of our fellow community members in getting the settlements they deserved for injuries suffered. In some cases, this included compensation for their pain and suffering.
Personal Injury Lawyer Bethesda MD Cohen & Cohen
Whether you need answers to specific accident-related questions, or just need some counsel and advice, a member of our legal team at Cohen & Cohen can help. Please call us or contact us online, and we’ll help you set up a free case evaluation.