It is hard to be injured but it is even harder when you think that you may need a personal injury law firm Washington D.C. community members trust because your injury is the result of someone else’s negligence or carelessness.
Personal injury law covers many different situations where a person’s body, mental faculties or emotions are injured. When these injuries are the result of someone else’s carelessness, negligence and/or malice, you may have a personal injury claim that you can seek compensation for via your state’s legal system. Another term for personal injury law (that excludes a breach of contract or trust) is tort law.
Personal injury law differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. If you or someone you love is suffering from a personal injury that occured in the D.C. area, contact a reputable personal injury law firm Washington D.C. residents recommend. The compassionate lawyers at Cohen & Cohen, P.C., are available for free case evaluations, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What Personal Injury Encompasses?
Although personal injury laws differ from state to state, in general, personal injury law covers any kind of case where a person is injured especially, when the injury was caused by an individual or company’s negligence or extreme carelessness.
Personal injury lawsuits include suing for monetary compensation for a loved one’s wrongful death.
Below is a list of common personal injury cases. It is not a comprehensive list nor is it meant to be legal advice in any way. If you are unsure of whether or not your injury or that of a loved one that occured in the D.C. area constitutes a reason to file a personal injury lawsuit, contact a reputable personal injury law firm Washington D.C. victims and their families have relied on in the past.
Common personal injury cases include but are not limited to:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, bus, train, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall, trip and fall, swimming accidents, and other premise liability cases
- Defamation and other injuries to one’s reputation: These include injuries to one’s mental and emotional health when they
are caused by someone else’s intentional infliction of emotional distress
Emotional distress caused by a physical injury
- Consumer product liability cases, including, defective products, defective medications, and recalled products
- Injuries that are caused by explosives or chemical
- Injuries caused by animals such as a dog or cat bite
If you or someone you are close to is the victim of one of the above personal injuries or one not mentioned here, you may find it helpful to explain your situation to the understanding personal injury lawyers Washington DC personal injury victim’s and their families have gotten help from in the past.
Personal Injury Law and Negligence
Personal injury cases can be complicated to prove because there are often many different facets and parties that can potentially be involved in causing a personal injury. Many personal injury cases involve the negligence of one or more people or entities.
In order to win a personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff (or the plaintiff’s lawyer/s) must prove the following:
- The defendant had a duty of care toward the plaintiff (e.g. a doctor or taxi driver)
- The defendant breached their duty of care toward the plaintiff
- The defendant’s breach of their duty of care caused the plaintiff’s injuries
- The plaintiff suffered damages as the result of the defendant’s breach of their duty of care
If you or someone close to you is a victim of what you think is a personal injury, the dedicated team at Cohen & Cohen, P.C., has a good reputation as a personal injury law firm Washington D.C. feels lucky to have on its side.