What You Need to Know About Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuits
If you suspect that a family member is suffering nursing home abuse or neglect, you may want to speak with a nursing home lawyer Washington DC families trust to safeguard the rights of their loved ones. The attorneys of Cohen & Cohen have helped thousands of people get justice and recovered millions of dollars in settlements.
If you’re considering hiring a nursing home lawyer Washington DC provides, call us at (202) 955-4529 to arrange for a free consultation. The legal team of Cohen & Cohen is sensitive to the difficult nature of dealing with nursing home abuse of a loved one. We offer compassionate, professional legal assistance to our clients and their families.
If you believe someone you care about is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect, you probably have many questions. Before you speak with a nursing home lawyer Washington DC victims respect, you may find the following information from helpful.
Reporting Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect of Your Loved One
Proof of abuse is not always necessary, simply suspecting nursing home abuse can be enough reason to report it. If abuse is occurring, it may not be limited to your loved one. In addition, the abuse also may be much worse than you fear. By reporting even suspected abuse, you may be saving many victims from harm.
If a medical responder, social worker, or any other government worker suspects someone is abusing or neglecting a resident in a nursing home facility, they are required by law to report their suspicions. In some states, the law requires anybody who is suspicious of nursing home abuse to report it.
Reporting it can begin the process of investigating the situation. In many states you can report your fears of abuse while remaining anonymous. Every state has a toll-free number you can call to make your report. If you have reason to believe the nursing home resident is in immediate danger, call 911 immediately.
Calling to Report Abuse or Suspected Abuse of a Nursing Home Resident
To find the contact information in your state to report abuse or suspected abuse, visit the Eldercare Locator website at http://www.eldercare.gov/. You can also call them on weekdays at 800-677-1116. If you hire a nursing home lawyer Washington DC families turn to for help, he or she will need to know with whom you spoke and when.
When you call the elder abuse hotline for your state, you may be allowed to make a confidential report, if you prefer. When making your report, give them the following information and provide the same to your nursing home lawyer Washington DC residents recommended:
- The name of the nursing home and its address.
- The name of the person you suspect is being abused.
- Details about the abuse including its nature, the name or description of who is possibly doing the abuse, and any relevant information about the abuse.
You can also contact the elder’s physician, patient advocate, social worker, or someone else who is involved with his or her health care as long as they’re not professionally connected with the nursing home. That person may be able to advise you on the situation and additional steps to take.
What to Do After You Report the Abuse
After reporting the elder abuse, you may want to consult with a nursing home lawyer Washington DC community members count on when seeking justice for loved ones. A Cohen & Cohen attorney can discuss your situation with you in confidence and at no cost during an initial consultation.
In addition to seeking legal help, you may want to move your loved one from the abusive situation to a safe location. If you are undecided about whether or not to tell the nursing home why you’re removing your family member, you can discuss it with your legal counsel.
There may be long term options in a nearby area, including assisted living homes. Research and discuss your options with your family members, and be sure to address issues including:
- Resistance to Change: The elder family member may be resistant to change and not wish to leave the facility, regardless of being abused or neglected, especially if they have become attached to fellow residents or a staff member.
- Distance and Accessibility: One way to become aware of abuse or neglect and to prevent it is to visit a nursing home facility on a regular basis. When choosing a new nursing home, it’s important to find one that is not too far for family to travel.
- Adequate Medical Facilities: If your loved one has particular medical needs, be sure that the facility is capable of meeting them.
- Staffing: Confirm that there is a sufficient number of staff to care for the number of residents. Compare the ratio of patient to staff to other facilities you are considering.
- References: Request references from other families who have elders at the facility. You may be able to approach other families directly when visiting the nursing home. Check online reviews of each facility under your consideration.
How a Nursing Home Lawyer in Washington DC Can be of Benefit
If you have a loved one who was abused while in the care of their nursing home, the experienced Washington DC injury lawyers of Cohen & Cohen may be able to pursue legal action against the abuser and nursing home on your family’s behalf. Litigation may ensure that no one is abused by them again. Your attorney can pursue a damage claim or lawsuit against the nursing home, which could result in compensation for your family for the following:
- Physical injuries the elder suffered due to the nursing home’s abuse or neglect
- Emotional injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs of treating your loved one
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome on the part of the elder family member
Choosing a Washington DC Nursing Home Lawyer
At Cohen & Cohen our legal team has more than twenty years of experience helping victims get justice. We have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. If you are considering hiring a nursing home lawyer Washington DC can count on, contact us today at Cohen & Cohen