Bus Accident Lawyer Fairfax VA
If you have been hurt in a bus accident, you may want to consult a Fairfax VA bus accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses, including your medical bills and lost wages. A lawyer from Cohen & Cohen can help you file a timely claim and look out for your best interests.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Many people rely on public buses as a mode of transportation. Unfortunately, however, bus accidents do happen. Here are the most common causes of bus accidents that you should know about.
- Distracted driving. It is important for bus drivers to always have their entire focus on the road ahead. However, just like other drivers, bus drivers face many distractions every day, from cell phone usage to listening to passengers. If they take their attention off the road for even a second, they may not be able to react to hazards and get into an accident.
- Fatigue. Driving a bus for multiple hours every day can get tiring after a while. That’s why bus drivers must make sure to get at least eight hours of sleep at night. If they are operating a bus while running on little sleep, they may have lower reaction times and reduced concentration, increasing the risk of a collision.
- Speeding. Whether due to traffic conditions or weather, sometimes buses run behind schedule. Some bus drivers may feel obligated to increase their speed to keep up with their schedule. Unfortunately, as a Fairfax bus accident lawyer can confirm, speeding causes an accident.
- Left-hand turns. Buses are much larger than regular vehicles, so they do not have a good turning radius. Left-hand turns are one of the most common causes of bus accidents.
- Poor vehicle maintenance. Like other types of vehicles, buses require regular maintenance to continue operating properly. However, some bus companies may skimp on maintenance to save a buck. The bad news is that this can increase the chances of an accident. For instance, if the brakes are worn out, the bus may not be able to stop in time. If you were in a bus accident that was caused by poor maintenance, you may be able to sue the bus driver and bus company.
- Drunk driving. Despite the many warnings against the dangers of drunk driving, some bus drivers still choose to get behind the wheel drunk. Alcohol can impair judgment, reduce vision and lower reaction times. Bus drivers under the influence of alcohol are much more likely to cause an accident.
- Bad weather. Weather can be unpredictable, and buses have to operate regardless. Weather conditions like rain and snow can make roads slippery and impact visibility. That is why bus drivers have to be extra cautious during bad weather. They should reduce their speed and pay extra attention to the road when weather conditions are bad.
If you suffered injuries in a bus accident, you should schedule a consultation with a Fairfax bus accident lawyer from Cohen & Cohen to discuss your case in detail.