DUI lawyer Montgomery County MD

FREE Case evaluation

Serious injuries deserve experienced attorneys

Seeking Compensation for a DUI Accident

Seeking Compensation for a DUI Accident

If you were injured in an accident in Montgomery County that was caused by an intoxicated driver, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with a DUI lawyer Montgomery County, MD accident victims can rely on.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI)

It is illegal to drive while impaired from alcohol and/or drugs. Even if the drugs are prescribed medication by a doctor or are over the counter medication, if they impair a driver’s senses and abilities, it is a crime. A DUI is typically punishable with jail time, fees and/or fines, and in many cases, license suspensions and removals, and other penalties. If you have been injured in an accident with a driver that was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you should not have to pay for your medical and other expenses that arise as the result of your injuries.

If you’ve been injured by a driver that was driving under the influence in MD, a Montgomery County DUI lawyer may be able to protect your rights and help you to get the compensation you deserve.

A DUI Accident can Result in Both a Criminal and a Civil Case

It does not matter whether or not the intoxicated driver that caused your accident has been charged or convicted of a DUI (driving under the influence) or a DWI (driving while intoxicated) for you to seek compensation in a civil claim and lawsuit.

A person can be tried in two separate cases for a DUI, in a criminal case and in a civil case. Criminal charges are always brought about by a government agency such as the police, sheriff or FBI, etc., and a prosecutor that is employed by the government will try to get the person convicted of the crime they have been charged with. Civil charges can be brought about by a private person and more often than not, seek monetary restitution for what they have been wronged by. People recommend enlisting the help of a Montgomery County, MD DUI lawyer if you are seeking compensation for an accident that happened in Montgomery County or anyplace in Maryland.

Criminal cases are tried in criminal courts which are separate from civil cases that can be tried in different levels of civil courts from federal courts down to state and local courts. A Montgomery County, MD DUI lawyer may be able to get you the compensation you deserve regardless of whether or not the negligent driver that caused your injuries has been tried for their crime. You should not have to suffer financially in addition to the physical and/or emotional pain you have already endured.  

For a highly rated DUI lawyer Montgomery County, MD is fortunate to have in its midst, contact Cohen & Cohen for a free case evaluation, any time of the day or night, any day of the year.

What’s The Difference Between a DUI and DWI?

In both a DUI and DWI, the driver was intoxicated, but there are important differences between the two. In a DWI, the driver has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) below 0.08 (the legal limit in Maryland), but was exhibiting signs of intoxication. In a DUI, the driver was above the legal limit regardless of whether the person was showing signs of being drunk or on drugs. As an experienced DUI lawyer in Montgomery County, MD can explain, a DUI is a very serious offence and can result in harsh penalties for the offender. If you were injured in an accident involving an intoxicated driver, you should contact Cohen & Cohen P.C. to see if you should seek compensation for your damages. 

Seeking Compensation for Your Expenses

When you get into an accident with an intoxicated driver, it can be life altering. You may have lots of medical bills piling up from surgeries, physical therapy, psychological care, follow-up visits and so much more. You might also be unable to work and support your family as you had previously while you recover. In some circumstances, you might not be able to return to work again. Regardless of your situation, you shouldn’t have to pay for these expenses that were the result of another person’s poor judgment. It’s wise to speak with a lawyer to learn what your options are for recuperating your costs. Hiring a lawyer to represent you can result in larger settlements than if you tried to represent yourself. This is because a lawyer understands the law surrounding DUI’s and will fight so you receive the maximum benefit possible. To win a case, you must prove:

  • The defendant was responsible for the accident. A lawyer will use police reports, witness statements, etc. as evidence to support your case.
  • The accused party acted in a reckless or negligent manner. It may seem like because the defendant was intoxicated that this should be an obvious conclusion, but that isn’t always the case. An adept DUI lawyer in Montgomery County, MD from a firm like Cohen & Cohen P.C. will understand what kind of evidence to gather to demonstrate negligence.
  • The defendant caused the damages you incurred. You will need to demonstrate that they are either directly responsible for your damages or that they knew that their actions would potentially result in harm.
  • That the damages you are claiming are reasonable. Medical bills, lost income, etc. are easy to show on paper, but some costs like emotional trauma are harder to quantify. A skilled lawyer can help determine numbers for your suffering and argue for a fair settlement on your behalf. 

How Does A DUI Criminal Case Affect A Civil Case?

If the drunk driver who caused your injuries was charged with driving under the influence you can still pursue your own civil claims against the drunk driver. It does not matter if any criminal charges have or have not been filed against the drunk driver–you can still file a civil lawsuit against the drunk driver who caused your injuries. 

Civil lawsuits involve civil law, not criminal law, and different substantive and procedural rules govern civil lawsuits and criminal cases. Under the criminal law, a prosecutor represents the people of the state and must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol. The prosecutor seeks a conviction for the defendant, and if the defendant is convicted then he or she will be sentenced. The standard of proof in a criminal case is beyond a reasonable doubt, and this is higher than the standard of proof in a civil case. 

When you assert a civil claim against the drunk driver you or your lawyer must prove the case by a preponderance of the evidence standard. To satisfy the preponderance of the evidence standard of proof you must present more credible evidence than the opposing side. If you present 51% credible evidence and the opposing counsel presents 49% credible evidence then you have satisfied the preponderance of the evidence standard. 

The civil lawsuit may come after the criminal prosecution. If this is the case, then the evidence that was admitted by the court in the criminal case will usually be allowed in the civil case. If the drunk driver is convicted of a crime this may help your civil case. The conviction is a public record and thus it will be admitted as evidence that you can use to establish your civil claim. 

In your civil case you need to prove that the drunk driver was liable for your personal injuries. Some of the evidence that you may want to use in your civil lawsuit includes the following: 

  • Oral testimony of witnesses who saw the drunk driver consuming alcohol 
  • Statements and reports made by accident reconstruction experts 
  • Any photographs or videos of the accident scene 
  • Surveillance videos that may contain evidence of the automobile accident 
  • Any readings or tests containing evidence of the drunk driver’s blood alcohol concentration 
  • The traffic collision report documenting the automobile accident and what caused the automobile accident

You do not have to wait until the criminal case is over before you or your lawyer files a complaint for damages against the drunk driver. You need to speak with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible regarding your civil lawsuit against a drunk driver. If you wait too long you can lose your right to ever seek monetary compensation for the injuries you suffered in the automobile accident. 

Contact Cohen & Cohen Lawyers in Montgomery County, Maryland

Contact Cohen & Cohen P.C. today to schedule a free consultation during which we can discuss the facts of your case and how the law applies to those facts. Call our office at (301) 250-1957 to learn more about the legal services we offer. We offer excellent legal representation and customer service. Contact Cohen & Cohen P.C. today.

Common Damages in a Car Accident Caused By a Drunk Driver

If you were injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to receive compensation. An experienced DUI lawyer in Montgomery County, MD can help you pursue a claim against the driver. Here are some common damages you may be able to obtain in your car accident claim.

  • Medical bills. If you were involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, you may suffer injuries. Your injuries could be as mild as bruising or as serious as a traumatic brain injury. Either way, you are entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills. Even if you feel fine after the accident, you should still seek immediate medical attention. Medical expenses from a vehicle accident may include ambulance fees, surgery, physical therapy, assistive devices and home care. If your injury is expected to cause disability, you may receive additional compensation for long-term medical care.
  • Lost wages. Following a car accident with a drunk driver, you may have to take time off work to recover from your injuries. If your injury is severe enough, you might not be able to perform the same work as before, reducing your earning capacity.
  • Pain and suffering. Some car accident injuries may lead to prolonged pain and suffering. For example, if you suffered a severe back injury during an accident and have trouble sleeping because of it, you may be able to claim pain and suffering damages in your car accident claim.
  • Emotional distress. Many people associate car accidents with just physical injuries. However, these accidents can result in more than broken bones and neck injuries. They can also cause emotional injuries, like depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. You might be afraid to get into a vehicle again or feel depressed because of your injuries. It may be necessary for you to go to mental health counseling to recover. In this situation, you may be eligible to receive compensation for emotional distress.
  • Property damage. If a drunk driver hit your vehicle, you may have also sustained property damage. Whether the windows were broken or the bumper got damaged, you may obtain compensation for that. You may also be eligible to receive compensation for a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.

Benefits of Hiring a DUI Lawyer

If you were injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may wish to pursue compensation. Instead of trying to handle your case on your own, consider hiring an experienced DUI lawyer in Montgomery County MD. Here are a few benefits from doing so.

  • Know the true value of your claim. If you don’t have a legal background, you may not know the true value of your claim. This may cause you to undervalue it when talking to the defendant’s insurance company. An experienced DUI lawyer, on the other hand, will know the actual value of your claim and help you get maximum compensation. He or she may consider several factors before determining the value of your case, such as the severity of your injury, medical costs, how long you will be out of work and property damage.
  • Reduce your stress. A car accident involving a drunk driver can result in severe injuries, such as broken bones and head injuries. You need ample time to recover. If you try to handle your own injury case, it can bring you unnecessary stress. That is another good reason to have a skilled lawyer on your side. He or she will do all of the legwork for your case, so you can concentrate on getting better.
  • Handle communication with the insurance company. If you suffered injuries from a car accident caused by an impaired driver, the defendant’s insurance company may try to contact you. While they might seem sympathetic to your situation, understand that they only care about the bottom line and will try to undervalue your claim. That is why it pays to work with an experienced lawyer. A lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf and won’t let them take advantage of you. If you have a skilled lawyer on your side, you have a higher chance of getting a fair settlement from the insurance company.
  • Have motivation to help you. If you are pursuing a civil case against the drunk driver who hit your vehicle, the lawyer who represents you will most likely work on a contingency fee. This means that your lawyer will only get paid if you win your case. As such, he or she has extra motivation to do a good job.

Qualities to Look for in a DUI Lawyer


After being charged for driving under the influence, or DUI in Maryland, be sure to do research about the lawyer you plan to retain to represent you in court. The lawyers at Cohen & Cohen P.C. have decades of experience representing clients in court. Be sure that you work with a lawyer who specializes in DUI related cases. When you work with a lawyer who has a proven record of success in DUI cases, your odds of achieving the desired outcome are much greater. Less experienced lawyers may lack an understanding of local courts and relationships with judges that also improve odds of achieving the desired outcome.


The reputation of a lawyer’s effectiveness in court is important to consider prior to making a selection. Our law firm has received many accolades over the years and is considered to be one of the most revered in the DMV area. To form your own opinion about our reputation, be sure to check out our press room page, and testimonials. When you retain legal representation from Cohen & Cohen P.C., you can be confident that your case will be handled with care and individualized attention to detail. We have the reputation in the DMV area for being one of the most effective firms by clients and news organizations.

Availability & Punctuality

When selecting a lawyer to represent you in a DUI related case, availability and punctuality are an essential attribute to look for. Our firm is readily available to evaluate your case. Contact Cohen & Cohen P.C. anytime, nights, weekends, 24/7. We are available 24/7. Our paralegals work closely with our lawyers to provide a quick and accurate analysis of your case. For immediate assistance, call our offices. We understand the urgency of DUI related cases and are here to help when you need it most.


At Cohen & Cohen P.C., we treat each client with compassion and respect with the goal of delivering the best legal services in the area. If you are facing a DUI charge, or have been involved in an incident where another driver was charged with DUI and was allegedly responsible for your injury or damage to personal property, we hope that you will contact our office to learn more about our practice and how we can be of assistance. We will do our best to help you feel confident in your decision to retain a lawyer from our firm to represent you.

Contact a DUI Lawyer

Cohen & Cohen has been practicing throughout the DMV area for years and we have won millions of dollars in damages for our clients. We understand that drunk driving accidents may be particularly complex when they occur within Washington DC and we are capable of providing legal counsel in these cases. Even if you are unsure about your ability to file a lawsuit against another driver, we may be able to look at your case and help you determine the options available.

To find out more information about our law firm, or to set up a consultation with an experienced Montgomery County, MD DUI lawyer, contact Cohen & Cohen today.

Personal Injury Attorneys In:

Washington DC | Maryland | Virginia

workers compensation attorneys in dc

Featured on:

Injury Attorneys DC, MD, VA – Get the Compensation You Deserve! Whether you have been injured in a car accident, a malpractice victim, injured on the job, as the result of shoddy craftsmanship, or in a slip and fall, we can help! Our experienced, competent attorneys excel in all areas of personal injury law.


Catastrophic Injuries DC, MD, VA

Automobile Accidents DC, MD, VA

Workers’ Compensation DC, MD, VA

Slip and Fall DC, MD, VA

Medical Malpractice DC, MD, VA

Wrongful Death DC, MD, VA

Truck Accidents DC, MD, VA

Motorcycle Accidents DC, MD, VA

Metro Train Accident DC, MD, VA


Our team is available and ready to help you with your case. Feel free to contact us via the form below or call us 24/7 at 202-955-4529


Client Review

"My experience with Cohen & Cohen was beyond my expectations. Jill did an amazing job with negotiating on my behalf and got me way more money than I anticipated. Thank you for having my back."
L Proctor
Client Review

"I am very pleased with the outcome of my case. I received more than the amount that I originally thought and am very satisfied with how my case turned out. Jill, the attorney working on my case did an excellent job advocating for me to the insurance company and getting me a good settlement. A special shout out to Bryan Moran, who always kept me posted on the updates of my case and was always super responsive to my questions. They are a really thoughtful team, I would definitely recommend to my friends and family."
Carolina Bazan
Client Review

Hear from our clients

If you have been injured, contact Cohen & Cohen for a free case evaluation today. Our staff is available 24/7 to assist you.

Cohen & Cohen has an  impeccable Client Satisfaction Rating with hundreds of
5 STAR Reviews. We are among the best-rated firms in the areas we serve.

Cohen & Cohen has an  impeccable Client Satisfaction Rating with hundreds of
5 STAR Reviews. We are among the best-rated firms in the areas we serve.

L Proctor
August 30, 2022.
My experience with Cohen &Cohen was beyond my expectations. Jill did an amazing job with negotiating on my behalf and got me way more money than I anticipated. Thank you for having my back.
Ebony Stoutmiles
June 23, 2022.
To say that I am happy with the outcome of my case is the understatement of the century! Jill Stanley is a BEAST at what she does. That is the only way to explain it. She takes no prisoners. She and her team are very skilled and knowledgeable. I am so happy I trusted them to do their job and rolled with Jill's suggestions. I would choose Jill again 100 times. She settled my case for more than I imagined I would receive. I was literally in tears. It is the best feeling to know my pain isn't for naught. Wayne Cohen and Kristopher Yorke were nothing short of amazing. They have the patience of saints. I'm 100% certain that I got on their last nerves with my frustration and tears at every other call I had with them. Being in pain and wanting to just be able to heal was all I could focus on, but they helped me realize that I also had to focus on the bigger picture (the case) so I could put this piece behind me. As a high-strung individual with anxiety, it was hard for me to not worry and let them do their jobs, but they reassured me all of the time that they had this. To be injured before the start of the pandemic and have to receive regular, weekly treatment while others are able to stay home is anxiety inducing. I was in pain, I was anxious, and I was just hoping it all worked out. It more than worked out. I hope Jill, Siri, and Kris know how much their hard work and "hanging in there" meant to me. I am eternally grateful. I can't recommend you all enough. If you choose this law firm, you won't be sorry!
Beloved Temple
June 3, 2022.
I was very pleased with the handling of my case and settlement with Cohen& Cohen. I appreciate them, would highly recommend them.
willie howell
May 25, 2022.
Jose Rivera
May 25, 2022.
The legal team at cohen & cohen did a great job I really appreciate the hard work on gating my compensation in a fair amount of time. Special thanks to Kris for a wonderful job
Lea Harvey
May 25, 2022.
I had a great experience with the team at Cohen & Cohen. From my intake attorney, Adam, to the paralegal, Bryan, who worked with me regularly for months to document and prepare my case, to Jill, the attorney who secured my settlement, I feel fortunate to have had their representation and expertise on my side.
Cameron Galloway (HustleDaGod)
May 19, 2022.
Kris was phenomenal. Spectacular communication & knowledge in regards to my case. Would definitely return if I needed more legal services. 100% definitely recommend.

Best Personal Injury Lawyer in DC


Cohen & Cohen Has Been Featured On


Our team is available and ready to help you with your case. Feel free to contact us via the form below or call us 24/7 at 202-955-4529

6 + 12 =

Read more: