What You Need to Know About Bus Accidents Involving Cars
If you were injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensatory damages which may be easier to recover with the help of a bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD respects. Cohen and Cohen, P.C. has a wealth of experience in the practice area of personal injury accidents. We understand that filing an accident claim or lawsuit against the guilty parties can be a complex process and frustrating for anyone who is not a legal professional. Enlisting the help of a bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD residents trust can make all the difference when your damages claim is at stake.
Filing a Damages Claim or a Lawsuit
You may wonder if you should file a personal injury claim or a lawsuit. A Cohen and Cohen, P.C. attorney can discuss your case with you to help make that determination. Our legal team has a lot of experience negotiating settlements, as well as pursuing lawsuits in a court of law.For many personal injury victims, it can be beneficial to negotiate a settlement with the negligible party rather than pursue a lawsuit. The main benefits include:
- Settlements generally result in a quicker resolution.
- At the conclusion of a long and expensive lawsuit, you may end up with the same amount of money or less than what you would receive in a settlement.
- A trial can be very stressful, and you may have to testify. A bus accident lawyer in Silver Spring MD can negotiate your settlement on your behalf, minimizing your direct involvement.
At Cohen and Cohen, P.C., our attorneys have experience negotiating with insurance companies or taking them to court if a settlement cannot be reached. Our legal team has successfully handled many third-person injury cases and numerous complicated damage claims. When necessary, we call on accident investigation teams, expert medical witnesses, automotive safety experts, and others who can help establish who is responsible for causing your injuries. Not every bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD respects has as many resources available to them as Cohen and Cohen, P.C.
The Process of Building a Strong Case
When a bus company is at fault for an accident, their insurance company may try to delay paying compensation to accident victims or deny their claims altogether. In the process of building a strong case to recover your damages, our legal team may perform any or all of the following:
- Analyze accident, police, and medical reports
- Interview witnesses, including passengers who were in the bus that collided with your car
- Document the accident scene with photos and notes
- Reenact the accident to determine exactly what happened in the moments leading up to when the bus hit your car
- Track and respond to inquiries and information provided by the at-fault party and their insurance companies
Negligence is defined as the failure by an individual to behave responsibly in a situation with regard to the well being and safety of others. When an individual disregards the safety of others by acting recklessly, they are considered to be negligent. Proving negligence in personal injury cases is key to negotiating fair compensation for injuries and damages. This is why engaging the services of a respected bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD accident victims rely on is so important.
If the bus had a defective part which was at least partially responsible for causing the accident, the manufacturer of that part may be held liable. A bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD victims trust may advise including them as a defendant in a lawsuit. Your attorney will likely have to conduct and document a thorough investigation of the accident. He or she must prove the following:
- The defective part was dangerous to use.
- The bus was operated as designed;
- The bus’ performance was the same from the time it was purchased.
Who can be held liable?
Those who can be held liable for personal injuries you suffered from a bus colliding with your vehicle could include the:
- Bus driver
- Owner of the bus, including private companies, federal, state, or local government entities
- Maintenance company for the bus company
- Bus manufacturer or parts manufacturer if a defective part contributed to causing the accident, and
- Any negligent third parties
Bus companies, their affiliates, and their drivers are expected to perform at a higher level of safety in comparison to other drivers on the road. If they fail to do so, and their carelessness results in injuries to their passengers or to other drivers and passengers, the bus driver can be held responsible. They are considered acting negligently under any of the following conditions:
- Bus drivers who drive while experiencing fatigue
- Bus drivers operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Buses loaded with more weight than allowed by law or beyond the mechanical capability of the bus
- Poorly trained bus drivers
- Improper bus maintenance
- Failure of the bus driver to obey traffic rules or signs
A bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD provides will have to prove that the driver or third party was negligent in their actions and as a result of their negligence they caused an injury.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
When a bus impacts a car, because the bus is substantially larger and heavier, the car’s driver and passengers may be subject to experiencing catastrophic injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Brain injuries;
- Broken bones;
If you were injured in an bus accident caused by the negligence of another, you may have legal recourse. To learn more about how a bus accident lawyer Silver Spring MD turns to for help, call the offices of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. today to arrange a free consultation.