When you’re injured in a vehicle accident, it can be very difficult to think clearly or know what to do afterward which is why it’s important to consult with a bus accident lawyer Rockville MD accident victims turn to for assistance. An attorney with Cohen & Cohen wants to handle the claims process on your behalf, so you can concentrate on recovering from the accident.
If you haven’t yet spoken with a bus accident lawyer Rockville MD trusts, here are some tips to consider until you have legal representation.
Do’s and Don’ts Following a Bus AccidentImmediately after a bus accident DO the following:
- Seek medical attention. Follow the first responder’s advice for treatment of any injuries you suffered in the accident. Also follow your doctor’s advice. This is for the benefit of your health as well as for a personal injury claim. It’s often beneficial to show proof that you made every effort to improve your condition.
- Use your cell phone to take pictures and/or video of the damaged vehicles, your injuries, and of the accident scene. This can be used as evidence in your claim by a qualified bus accident lawyer Rockville MD can offer.
- Write everything down related to how the accident happened and do not leave out any details. Include road and weather conditions at the time and location of the bus accident. Sign and date your notes. Writing down this information while it’s still fresh is better than waiting until later when details can become fuzzy. Make copies for a bus accident lawyer Rockville MD relies on.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible that the accident occurred. Do not admit fault. Tell them the basic facts; and if a follow up with them is necessary, you can request that your attorney communicate with them on your behalf.
- Get contact information from anyone else involved in the accident, whether they’re the bus driver or drivers of other vehicles involved.Note their names, home and cell phone numbers, email address, and insurance company name and policy number. If there were witnesses, get their name, address, phone numbers, and email address.
- Read your auto and health insurance policies to find you exactly how you may be covered under the circumstances of this particular bus accident.
- Take written notes when you speak with the insurance company or an adjuster as well as anyone else involved in the accident. These notes may be helpful to refer to later on when refreshing your memory. Your attorney may want copies, so be sure to let him or her know you have taken notes.
- Get a copy of the police report and verify its accuracy. If it doesn’t match up to your recollection or understanding, discuss this with your Rockville MD bus accident lawyer. This is important because the police report can be entered into court as evidence.
- Consult with a bus accident lawyer in Rockville MD as soon as possible.The quicker you have legal counsel, the quicker they can get to work in protecting your rights and building a case for compensatory damages.
- Keep copies of every medical report and receipt. Do the same for any bills or invoices for items related to the bus accident including vehicle repair bills, car rental receipts, medical bills, and repair estimates.
Immediately after a bus accident AVOID doing the following:
- Admitting fault. Until a complete and thorough accident investigation has been completed, you may not truly know who was at fault. By admitting guilt prematurely, you risk forfeiting a settlement claim or the opportunity to file a lawsuit against the person who was actually at fault.
- Negotiating directly with the person or persons responsible for the bus accident. You are better off submitting your damages claim to their insurance company, whether it’s the bus driver’s or a third party driver’s, depending on who was at fault. If it’s a third-party driver and they do not have insurance, inform your insurance company. You will probably be best served by allowing a bus accident lawyer Rockville MD victims turn to for help handle any negotiations on your behalf.
- Accepting the insurance company’s settlement offer without first conferring with an experienced attorney. Your Cohen & Cohen lawyer will likely want to carefully review any offers before advising you on whether or not to accept them.
- Signing any documentation or cashing any checks without first conferring with your attorney. A reputable bus accident lawyer Rockville MD recognizes as highly qualified can advise you about accepting or rejecting offers or binding agreements.
- Delaying or canceling any medical appointments or treatments.Delaying or avoiding care can be misconstrued as intentionally harming oneself in order to benefit financially. Not only might this damage your chances of receiving maximum compensatory damages, it can also extend your recovery time or worsen your injury.
- Not contacting an attorney to represent you. Personal injury claims have a statute of limitations within which you must file suit or else you likely lose eligibility to pursue recovery of damages. Delaying will also increase the likelihood that physical evidence crucial to the success of your case is degraded or disappears completely.
- Agreeing to a blanket medical authorization. If you do so, the insurance company may have access to your medical records that are not relevant to the bus accident. It may also hurt your chances at recovering damages. A bus accident lawyer Rockville MD personal injury victims often hire for representation can review your medical records confidentially and determine what information should be shared with the insurance company.
Cohen & Cohen: a Bus Accident Lawyer Rockville MD Counts On
You may not know where to start when it comes to filing an accident claim. Get help from a highly respected Maryland bus accident lawyer. Cohen & Cohen attorneys are available 24/7 for emergencies. Call us today if you need a bus accident lawyer Rockville MD counts on to fight for their rights and any compensation they may be entitled to.