Answers to Common Questions About Bus Accidents
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury following a bus accident, a bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD commuters turn to for help may be able to advise you on your legal rights.Cohen & Cohen One of our car accident attorneys would be happy to address any questions you may have about how to receive compensatory damages from the at-fault party. While no lawyer can say they are the “best” bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD has to offer, at Cohen & Cohen, we are proud to be a firm the Hillcrest community turns to again and again.
Before you meet with an attorney, here are answers to some common questions that personal injury victims often have following a bus accident:
Is there anything I should do while at the scene of the bus accident?
While you are still at the scene, if possible do the following:
- Call 911 if first responders have not yet arrived. Accidents involving injuries or causing significant damage require a police investigation. If you are injured, you want to make sure the police officer includes your injury information in their accident report. Note the officer’s name and badge number.
- Wait for help in a safe location. If you are in a car that is not in danger of being hit by other vehicles, then wait in your car. Otherwise, if you’re physically able to do so, move to a safer nearby location, but do not leave the scene unless you’re told to do so by a police officer.
- Get medical attention at the scene, even if your injuries appear to be minor. Shock can mask serious injuries and their symptoms. Not only will this help begin any necessary treatment, the injury is also immediately documented by a medical professional. This documentation can be key in a personal injury case.
- If possible, collect witness names and contact information. If it’s safe to do so, record the accident scene in videos and with still photographs using your cell phone. Get images of the general scene, damages, and any injuries you sustained. A bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD personal injury victims hire to defend their rights will likely want to interview witnesses and examine any available evidence to determine who is at fault and liable for compensating you for your damages.
- Avoid admitting fault or apologizing to anyone at the scene, including police officers. Until an accident investigation is completed you can’t possibly know if you are at fault. In addition, anything you say may be used against you in a civil action or settlement negotiation. Apologizing is regarded as admitting fault so don’t apologize to anyone.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than a police officer, your insurance company, or your attorney. You’re not required to make a statement to anyone other than to the police or your own insurance company. If you have hired an attorney, you can simply notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident and that your attorney will follow up with them. In any discussion, stick to the facts and avoid any personal conjecture or opinion.
I was injured in the bus accident and my medical bills are already piling up. What can I do?
Depending on who was at fault for the accident, you may be entitled to compensation to cover your accident-related costs and losses. Consult a bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD accident victims recommend. Discuss the case with an attorney who should be able to offer a professional opinion as to whether or not you’re eligible for compensation. An attorney at Cohen & Cohen wants to give you an honest evaluation of your case.
Is it really necessary for me to hire an attorney? The bus company said they’d take care of the accident victims.
If you have suffered physical, emotional, or mental injuries as a result of the bus accident, you’re entitled to compensation for those injuries. Though the bus company may promise to “take care” of you, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll fully compensate you. It’s not in their best interest for you to seek legal representation, because that might force them to pay out more money. If you do file a lawsuit or turn down their settlement offer on the advice of your attorney, the bus company will likely fight you with a team of lawyers and experts. To protect your rights, it may be beneficial to hire an experienced bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD respects. The legal firm of Cohen & Cohen is highly experienced in fighting companies with deep pockets and winning compensation for our clients.
Is there anything I can do right after the bus accident to help my chances of getting a fair settlement from the bus company’s insurance carrier?
Yes, there are several things you can do including:
- Obtain a copy of the police report and provide a copy for your attorney.
- Get a written estimate for repairing damage to your vehicle or replacing it. Your attorney will need a copy.
- Save your receipts for any accident-related medical costs including medications. Your attorney will need copies.
- Document any medical attention or treatments you receive, including the medical practitioners’ names, addresses, company or hospital names, and dates of treatments. Make copies of every report for your attorney.
- Document any out-of-pocket expenses related to your medical care no matter how large or small. For example, if you need to take a taxi to the hospital for tests, get a receipt from the taxi driver.
- If you have missed any work, document the dates, times, and hours lost as well as what you would have earned in wages if you were not injured in the accident. Do this even if you are taking medical leave or using paid time off from work.
A representative from the bus company called me, but I don’t have an attorney yet. What should I do?
It may be in your best interest not talk to them until you have chosen an attorney, and he or she recommends that you speak to the bus company. Very likely your attorney will speak to the bus company on your behalf. If the bus company offers you a verbal or written settlement, do not accept or reject it until first conferring with your attorney. If you choose Cohen & Cohen to represent you, one of our attorneys can carefully review any communication or offers from the bus company before advising you on how to respond. It may be in your best interest to have a bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD victims rely on to protect your rights.
A Bus Accident Lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD Counts On
Cohen & Cohen is committed to helping victims of bus accidents who have been injured as a result. Contact us today to meet with a bus accident lawyer Hillcrest Heights MD remembers for being effective and aggressive in protecting victims’ rights.