With the rise in popularity of bicycle riding throughout Maryland and its surrounding communities, there has been an unfortunate rise in the need of a good bicycle accident law firm Maryland cyclists and their families can turn to in difficult times. Bicycle riders are more vulnerable to injuries in an accident compared to people in vehicles with protection around them such as cars, trucks, vans, etc. Getting the help of a law firm that is familiar with laws that govern bicycle accidents and that has lawyers who are familiar with Maryland courts, is a good first step towards protecting the rights of a bicycle accident victim.
Does Maryland have bicycle laws?
Maryland has bicycle safety laws. According to Maryland law, bicycles are vehicles and are thus allowed to ride on the roads provided they follow the same rules of the roads that other motorists are required to follow. When a Maryland bicycle rider who is following all laws and safety precautions is injured by a negligent motorist or fellow rider, it may be in their best interest to discuss their situation with a reputable bicycle accident law firm.
Some of the important bicycle safety laws in Maryland include but are not limited to:
- Even though it is recommended that all bicycle riders wear helmets,
only bicyclists under the age of 16 are required to wear helmets
- Bicycles must have a front lamp and a rear red reflector light
- Bicycle riders must ride in a bike lane if one is available; if there is no
bike lane available, bicycle riders must ride as close to the right side of
the road as possible, and with the flow of traffic
- Bicycle riders should not wear headsets or earplugs that cover both
- Bicycles are not allowed on roads with speed limits higher than 50 mph
- Motorists must pass a cyclist with a minimum of three feet clearance
This article contains general information only and is not intended as legal advice in any way. A good place to get more comprehensive information about a Maryland bicycle accident is from a personal injury law firm that has lawyers who are licensed to practice in Maryland and its surrounding communities.
Do bicycle accidents occur when the rider follows all laws and safety precautions?
Yes, accidents happen even when a bicycle rider follows all laws and safety precautions. Bicycle accidents are often caused by the negligence, recklessness, or malicious actions of others, where no matter how cautious an experienced and law abiding cyclists may be, the cyclist cannot avoid the accident. Common causes of accidents where bicycle riders are injured include but are not limited to:
- Dooring, aka when an occupant of a parked car does not look behind
them before opening a door right as a bicycle rider is approaching or
- Vehicles passing too closely
- Vehicles making left turns in front of approaching bicycles
- Vehicles making turns without checking their blind spots to the sides
and behind their vehicle
- Vehicles failing to look before pulling out of parking spots and driveways
- Bicycle riders failing to equip their bicycles and themselves with required reflective safety gear
If you or someone you love has been in a bicycle accident you may need the help of a personal injury law firm that is experienced with successfully defending the rights of injured people. For a personal injury bicycle accident law firm Maryland accident victims and their families can rely on with over 25 years of experience in defending the rights of accident victims, contact Cohen & Cohen for a free case evaluation, any time of the day or night, any day of the year.