Baltimore MD Medical Mistake
Despite what you see on TV, medical errors are unfortunately common. They can have long-lasting consequences and leave you feeling emotionally traumatized. It may even have resulted in you losing income or being unable to work. If you have been the victim of a medical mistake in Baltimore, MD, you should consider hiring an attorney to represent you. An attorney will know what legal strategies to use to create a strong case, which often results in larger settlements for the client than if the client has tried to represent themselves. Call our staff at Cohen & Cohen today to set up a free consultation with no obligations. We can help you determine whether you have a case, and if it is worth pursuing.
What Is Considered Medical Malpractice?
What falls under medical malpractice is wide-ranging. Whenever a provider fails to meet the standard of care and it results in harm to the patient, medical malpractice has taken place. Some common forms of medical malpractice include:
Misdiagnosis | When a doctor is delayed in or fails to properly diagnose a patient causing them harm, it is considered a misdiagnosis. The outcome may be that the patient received treatment that wasn’t appropriate for their condition and caused them harm or that they didn’t receive the treatment they needed to recover.
Surgical Errors | The way that the medical system is set up today is profit-driven, which often isn’t in the patients’ best interest. In the surgical realm, this can lead to surgeons rushing through procedures, trying to take shortcuts and other issues. It can result in a surgeon operating on the incorrect body part, performing the wrong procedure, or providing other inadequate patient care.
Anesthesia Errors | Anesthesia is used to keep patients safe during procedures and surgeries, but it isn’t without risk. Common errors with anesthesia include not properly assessing the patient’s history prior to the procedure, providing too large or too little dosage, and not adequately monitoring the patient’s vitals while under anesthesia. In serious cases, patients can experience brain damage, become partially or fully paralyzed, or even die.
Childbirth Injuries | For a developed country, the United States has a very high incidence of injury and mortality associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Malpractice can take place at any time from pregnancy to childbirth. The mother, child or both may be harmed as a result of a provider’s actions.
Medication Errors | Medication errors are one of the most common forms of malpractice and they can happen in a variety of settings. A doctor can fail to properly screen the prescriptions a patient is currently using leading to a bad drug interaction. A nurse may provide the wrong type of medication for a patient receiving chemotherapy. Or, a pharmacist might provide a medication dose that is too small and doesn’t treat the patient’s symptoms.
Dental Mistakes | Mistakes aren’t just limited to the realm of hospitals. Dentists can also make serious mistakes that result in damages. A dentist can miss a diagnosis, fail to properly treat their patient’s condition, or perform a procedure on the wrong part of the mouth.
Any medical mistake can result in harm to the patient. If you think you think you suffered damages as a result of a provider, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our staff at Cohen & Cohen now to learn if you have a case worth bringing to court.
What is a Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
A medical malpractice lawyer is a person who provides legal counsel for people who have been injured by the negligence of doctors, nurses, dentists, and other healthcare professionals. It’s important to know what you’re entitled to in terms of compensation, damages, and general rights as an individual in this type of situation because any injury can be devastating. The last thing anyone wants is to feel like their voice isn’t being heard or that they are powerless against the justice system.
A medical malpractice lawyer can help you recover damages for your pain and suffering if you have been injured by the negligent actions of another party. Baltimore MD Medical Mistake lawsuits can be filed for a number of reasons, including errors in diagnosis, incorrect treatment, or failure to treat a patient adequately.
Why Do You Need a Malpractice Lawyer?
A Baltimore malpractice lawyer is your best defense when you are faced with a Baltimore, MD medical mistake. It’s important to understand what you’re up against and how it can affect your well-being, as well as the well-being of those around you. You need someone who has been in this situation before and knows how to take care of things; we’ve got the experience and expertise that will make sure everything goes smoothly for you and your family.
In Baltimore, MD, you will find a number of reputable malpractice lawyers who can help you with your legal needs. Medical negligence can lead to catastrophic consequences for patients and their families. If you have been injured as the result of a Baltimore, Maryland medical mistake, it is important to seek the advice of an experienced malpractice lawyer who can protect your rights and help you pursue justice. A qualified malpractice lawyer in Baltimore can assess your case and advise you on the best course of action to take. Don’t hesitate to contact a lawyer if you believe that you have suffered harm as a result of medical negligence. The consultation is free, so there’s no reason not to get started today.
Why You Need Cohen & Cohen as Your Malpractice Lawyer
Baltimore, MD Medical Mistakes are never intentional, but they do happen to thousands of people every year. While some doctors make honest errors in judgment, others might intentionally disregard their patients’ well-being for financial gain. The only thing that matters is that if you’re injured by a doctor’s error, your life will never be the same again.
Cohen & Cohen is here to help victims like us recover from these devastating injuries and get our lives back on track after being wronged by someone who was supposed to take care of us instead. Our lawyers have decades of experience helping clients throughout Baltimore, MD win compensation for their pain and suffering as well as any out-of-pocket expenses related to their treatment or recovery process.
We are a law firm dedicated to helping victims of medical malpractice and negligence obtain compensation for their injuries. Having years of experience fighting insurance companies on behalf of our clients, we are confident that someone who knows what they are doing will handle your claim in a caring and compassionate way.
How to Prepare for a Consultation with a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you are the victim of a medical mistake in Baltimore, MD, one of your next steps should be to speak to a medical malpractice lawyer. Medical malpractice cases tend to be very complex, so you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. If you work with a qualified lawyer, you will have a better chance of getting a fair settlement. Here are some tips to get ready for your initial consultation.
- Leave early. Going to your first meeting with a medical malpractice lawyer might make you feel a little nervous. You have to talk about intimate details about your medical injury with someone you don’t know. If you are late to your meeting, you might feel even more flustered. That is why it is worth it to leave a few minutes early. You can then sit in the waiting room and relax until your lawyer is ready to see you.
- Provide specific details. Expect a lawyer to ask you many questions about your medical malpractice case. When it comes to medical malpractice, there is no such thing as too many details. In fact, the more details you can provide, the better your lawyer can help you. For example, if your doctor made an error when prescribing medication, tell your lawyer when you first noticed that something was wrong and the types of symptoms you experienced.
- Gather documents. If you have any documents pertaining to your medical malpractice case, don’t forget to bring them with you to your meeting. These documents can save your lawyer time and help him or her understand how the medical mistake has impacted your life. Examples of documents may include your medical bills, medical records, photos of your injury and diagnostic images.
- Ask your own questions. Some people think that their lawyer should be the only one asking questions. This isn’t so. To make sure that a medical malpractice is right for you, ask questions during the consultation. For example, you may want to ask if the lawyer specializes in medical malpractice cases and how many cases he or she has won. You may also want to find out how strong your case is. Write down these questions in a notebook beforehand so that you don’t forget to ask them.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in a Medical Malpractice Case
If you are the victim of a medical mistake in Baltimore, MD, you have the right to pursue a medical malpractice case. Filing a medical malpractice case can be confusing, and it can be easy to make mistakes. Here are some common mistakes you need to avoid in a medical malpractice case.
- Failing to retrieve your medical records. In order to prove that malpractice occurred, you must present copies of your medical records. Unfortunately, some medical malpractice victims wait too long to obtain copies of their medical records. If you delay obtaining your medical records, there is a higher chance that they will get tampered with. As such, you should request these records as soon as you learn that you are a victim of medical negligence.
- Waiting too long to hire a lawyer. A medical malpractice case is one of the most complex personal injury cases you will deal with. That is why it is crucial to have an experienced lawyer on your side. If you delay hiring a lawyer, evidence can disappear and you may struggle to prove your claim. It takes ample time to build a strong medical malpractice case and find expert witnesses.
- Not hiring the right lawyer. As mentioned above, medical malpractice cases tend to be very complicated. Therefore, not just any lawyer can successfully handle your case. It is critical to hire a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice cases. He or she should have extensive medical knowledge and resources to see your case through to the end.
- Filing lawsuits against the wrong parties. Believe it or not, some medical malpractice victims end up suing the wrong parties. If you have seen several doctors for a medical issue, it may be difficult to know who was actually negligent. If you sue the wrong party, it can hurt your case. A skilled lawyer can help you determine which parties you need to sue so that you do not miss your right to compensation.
- Settling too early. If the medical provider’s insurance company decides to offer you an early settlement, it may be tempting to accept it. However, you might not know the extent of your damages yet and may accept a settlement that is too low. Do not accept a settlement until your lawyer has reviewed it.