A Bike Accident Lawyer in Reston VA Can Be On Your Side
Reston, VA is known for its bicycle paths and strong community of cycling enthusiasts but unfortunately, there is a need for a good bike accident lawyer Reston, VA cyclists can rely on. While the state has made an effort to improve bike lanes, there are still areas that force cyclists to share the road with cars. Unfortunately, accidents are a common occurrence. When they happen it is often the cyclist who is injured, and not the driver or passengers of a car. This kind of incident can be devastating and lead to financial strain, physical suffering, and emotional anguish. A bike accident lawyer whose office is near Reston, VA may be able to help you to recover damages so you can begin to heal and recover. To discuss your case with a Reston, VA bike accident lawyer you can trust, call Cohen & Cohen, P.C. today.
Bike Accident Statistics
The following are the most recent statistics from the CDC.
- In 2015, there were 467,000 bicycle related injuries and approximately 1,000 fatalities.
- Adults between the ages of 50 and 59 have the highest cycling death rates.
- Children and adolescents have the highest non-fatal cycling injuries.
- Males are 6 times more likely to die, and 4 times more likely to be injured in a bicycle accident than females.
- Most bicycle accidents happen in an urban area.
- In 37% of these incidents, alcohol was a factor for either the cyclist or driver of a vehicle.
- Between 2006 and 2015, there was a 6% increase in bike accident fatalities.
Bare in mind that these numbers do not include accidents that went unreported. Regardless of where in the above statistics you might fall, if you or someone you love has been in a bicycle accident in Reston, VA, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with a bicycle lawyer who is licensed to practice in Reston, VA.
Most Common Reasons for an Accident to Occur
As a bike accident lawyer, our firm has handled 100s of cycling injury cases of varying circumstances and severity. Over the course of our legal experience, most of our clients were in a bike accident because of one or more of the following:
- A motorist was emerging onto the path of a cyclist.
- A motorist was turning across or in front of the path of a cyclist.
- A cyclist was riding into the path of a motorist.
- A cyclist and motorist were both going straight ahead and collided.
- A cyclist was turning right.
- A child or adolescent was riding too fast or playing with their bike.
- A cyclist was doored with a stopped car.
Other reasons for a bike accident to occur where the help of a bike accident lawyer in Reston, VA may be helpful include but are not limited to, a road obstacle, weather condition, or pedestrian. Whatever the reason, the resulting injuries are often moderate to severe, life threatening, or fatal. Common injuries include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck or back injuries
- Broken or shattered bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal damage
- Disability or paralysis
The medical expenses associated with any of these injuries can be extremely high, leaving the victim to wondering who will cover the cost? In this situations, it may be in the victim and their family’s best interest to get a free case evaluation from a reputable bike accident lawyer in Reston VA. Personal injury protection, or PIP, and the victim’s health insurance might cover some of these expenses; however, it is often not enough. Furthermore, it might not take into consideration lost wages and other damages. As a bicycle accident law firm with lawyers qualified to help bike accident victims, we understand what you may be going through and are ready to use our skills to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
To schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable, tenacious, and experienced bike accident lawyer Reston, VA cyclists and their families can trust, call Cohen & Cohen, P.C. today.