Slip and Fall Lawyer Fairfax VA
If you were recently hurt in a slip and fall accident, you may want to get in touch with a Fairfax VA slip and fall lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and other losses. A lawyer from Cohen & Cohen can help you file a timely claim and look out for your best interests.
Common Misconceptions About Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen in a variety of different settings and cause various injuries. Here are some of the most common misconceptions about slip and fall accidents that you shouldn’t believe.
- If there was a warning sign, you don’t have a case. Some slip and fall accident victims assume that they can’t sue if there was a warning sign. However, that is not necessarily true. While it may be more difficult to prove negligence with a warning sign, it is not impossible. For instance, if the warning sign was hidden, you may still have a case.
- You can sue at any time. Just like with other personal injury cases, you don’t have all the time in the world to pursue damages. In Virginia, the statute of limitations to file a slip and fall accident claim is two years from the date of the accident. After that deadline has passed, you will no longer be eligible for compensation.
- You can only sue for physical injuries. Slip and fall accidents are frequently associated with physical injuries, like broken bones and head injuries. However, as a Fairfax slip and fall lawyer can confirm, these accidents can be quite traumatic and also cause emotional injuries, like depression and anxiety. You may be able to pursue damages for emotional distress.
- If the property didn’t know about the condition, you can’t sue. This is another common myth about slip and fall accident cases. Just because a property owner wasn’t aware of the hazardous condition that caused you to fall, does not mean that he or she can’t be held responsible. If the property owner should have known about the condition, you may still have a case.
- If you don’t have a major injury, you don’t have to see a doctor. If you feel rather fine after a slip and fall accident, it might seem like a relief. However, it is still a good idea to seek immediate medical attention. Some injuries don’t always show symptoms right away and you don’t want to put your health at risk. A doctor should give you a full assessment and recommend treatment if necessary.
- It’s best to accept a quick settlement. It might seem like a good idea to accept the insurance company’s first settlement offer. You get your money quickly and move past this whole ordeal. However, the insurance company’s initial offer usually isn’t a favorable one. It might not cover all of your expenses. Allow your lawyer more time to negotiate a better settlement.
Schedule a consultation with a Fairfax slip and fall lawyer from Cohen & Cohen today.